.375 Ruger - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

.375 Ruger

I am going on my first elk hunt in October 2011 and would like to get something more suitable for hunting in the Rockies other than my Marlin .35. does anyone have any experience with the Ruger .375 or any of the ruger compact magnums? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM

Re: .375 Ruger

Not much different than the WSM's or the SAUM's..the difference isn't worth talking about. TAKE lots of ammo, at least two boxes because I don't think your going to walk into many mon and pop sporting goods store and but it off the shelf should you need it..the .375 will get the job done and done quickly, lots of power, not sure if and why you'd need that much but it will work...You'd be better served with an off the shelf .338 or 300 win mag to be honest about it...
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

I would never buy the .375 Ruger when the .375 H&H has been around since 1912 and ammo is available worldwide. If you can't kill it with the .375 H&H then that's your fault. A couple hundred fps isn't going to change anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM
The Man

It's hard to find a 375 H&H in a garden variety priced rifle these days..For some strange reason, when they have to chamber a rifle in a large classic cartridge, the price magically rises substantially.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In the world today, ANY mom and pop store could have a box or two of ANY ammo in hand by the next day. In fact so could the hunter by ordering it online with his phone and having it delivered next day to the outfitter.
If you have an urge for a .375 Ruger get one. You could ship ammo to the outfitter weeks before your hunt in addition to what you will be taking along. If your bags and ammo don't make the trip at least some ammo will already be at camp, but it is gonna be tough hunting in street clothes with all your hunting clothes missing too!!

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 PM

I agree with BIG OLE KEN...if your feelin' the need for big bores and big bullets get yourself a 375 H&H, it has with stood the test of time and is vary common in the areas where big game is going to be found, it needs no one to speak for it, alot of these new fangled cartridges are fly by night, here today and a distant memeory tomorrow, how many have we seen over the last five years!! As far as performance goes, other than the physical size of the cartridge to fit into smaller actions what have we truely gained over the old standbys, NOTHING for the most part to be honest about it, there's no substitute for one well placed shot with a good old fashion Nosler partition...as far as RCM's loaded ammo, you'd be hard pressed to find any outside of the typical Gander mts and Cabela's..I'll look around at some small ones in my area and I'll let you know how many have it..I'm betting none and I'll also bet the owners never even heard of it!!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:39 PM
The Man

If I had the money for the factory ammo or reloaded I wouldn't even think twice before buying one if I wanted it. Now, is this going to be a once in a lifetime hunt or something that comes along regularly? Chances are good it won't get shot much. Not like you will be taking it to a praire dog town.

I hunted deer once with a guy that hunted with a 375 H&H. Why? Because he had one he bought to take to Africa. Went once, and he openly admits he could have got by on that hunt with his trusty `06, but has desires to go back for dangerous game.

My biggest concern with a gun like that is shear weight. Didn't look at any specs in guns chambered for that cartridge, but most I would think to be heavy. If you are not going hunting where there won't be the 5 mile backcountry hike it shouldn't be a problem.

For what's it's worth though I have some family that lives in Idaho, and most hunt elk with a 30-06. My cousin got a 300 win mag, but admits it hasn't helped him bag anymore elk. He just wanted a new gun to replace his ole trusty 740 he took there from Vermont.

Venison - The other fast food
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

toiler, alot of the country you can hunt out west is SO THICK you would not believe it.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
My biggest concern with a gun like that is shear weight.
To be honest H/F, my Model 700 classic in 375 H&H doesn't weigh any more than say, a 7mm magnum in the same gun...Kicks more though ...I shot a couple of doe with it and it doesn't put any larger hole in them than a 30-06, but it does lift them up off of the ground and flip them around sometimes.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 PM
The Man

The guy I hunted with had a M70 winchester, and it weighed a bit more than my 7mm mag in the same model. Not sure why. He did say he shot a few doe with his as well with the same performance you describe. The recoil is still less than a 12 gauge slug gun.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page