good scopes gone bad. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

good scopes gone bad.

Wow. what a weekend. I went down to my dads place to get together and do some shooting with him. All was well as we got to the range anxious to shoot our new guns that we topped of with 3 nikons and 1 leupold. We started shooting and the leupold only lasted 3 shots before it completely went fuzzy and you couldn't see out of it. next came the nikons. 2 lasted 5 shots and the final one lasted a wopping 11 shots all with the same problem as the leupold. granted the guns were 2 300 win mags, a 7mm mag but a 30-06 blew a scope out? I mean I have a tasco on one of my guns that is still going strong after 16 years and it's still going strong. another $30.00 tasco has lasted 6 years with no issues. I'm begining to wonder if it's worth buying "good" glass these days when the cheapos are outlasting the "good" expensive ones.

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anywhere you like, but you can only spend it once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 AM

Re: good scopes gone bad.

something somewhere is wrong dont know what yet. but something does not seem right. the guns you mentioned are mild compare to what i shoot. only thing i can think of u are shooting the low end nikons, and leupold, cause i have alot of vari x 3s and top nikons, and they are on 338s, 416 rems, 460 weatherbys. for years and hundreds of shots and never ever once have i had a problem . i can see maybe nikons, but i just dont know what to tell you, i have 4200 series busnells scopes also and i put them up aganist some of the best glass in the $550 dollar range.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncysid
Wow. what a weekend. I went down to my dads place to get together and do some shooting with him. All was well as we got to the range anxious to shoot our new guns that we topped of with 3 nikons and 1 leupold. We started shooting and the leupold only lasted 3 shots before it completely went fuzzy and you couldn't see out of it. next came the nikons. 2 lasted 5 shots and the final one lasted a wopping 11 shots all with the same problem as the leupold. granted the guns were 2 300 win mags, a 7mm mag but a 30-06 blew a scope out? I mean I have a tasco on one of my guns that is still going strong after 16 years and it's still going strong. another $30.00 tasco has lasted 6 years with no issues. I'm begining to wonder if it's worth buying "good" glass these days when the cheapos are outlasting the "good" expensive ones.

I've seen and had the .30-06 take care of several scopes before. My Husqvarna has wiped out it's Leupold M8 twice now. The most recent being this past hunting season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 AM

dont know what to say moosehunter, are these newer model year scopes. i would say all my scopes are around 1993 to about 2000, the ones on the big guns, maybe they were built much better then dont know. all i know is i would be one angry person if a 06 was breaking my scopes. i did see at least 4 different burris scopes all on different guns. from the middle 90s come apart real fast from guns of 22/250 to 340 weatherby.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I cannot see 4 top quality scopes on 4 different rifles all breaking with the same problem.Maybe there is an environmental problem involved here.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 AM

burk313 i agree has to be something like that.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 AM

did they ever get left in a car in extreme heat or something like that ? i never had a one break from recoil...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 AM

well when he sends them back for warrenty repair they will tell him what has happened.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 02:04 AM

i hope he lets us know ..thats strange..i have only ever seen a couple out of all my hunting friends ever go bad ?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

And that is the beauty of the Leupold. Send it back and you will soon be in business after they fix it or send you a new one. Try that with an old Nikon or Tasco. Then you will see why Leupold is one of the best choices. Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page