performance between firearm makes? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

performance between firearm makes?

I'm looking to buy a rifle. I currently own three remington rifles, one winchester rifle, and one husqavarna rifle. After seeing the performance of my last remington rifle (grouping/consistency even after experimenting with different loads) i am sort of leery about buying another remington although what i was origianally leaning towards was a remington model 7. So my question to you is, what gun maker do you think gives the best out of the box performance and quality and why? remington, winchester, kimber, ruger, browning, sako, cz, weatherby etc..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: performance between firearm makes?

Thompson Center hands down. Look at the T/C Icon. They are a fine rifle. I may be biased, but I feel they make the best rifles out there. I have a T/C Pro Hunter and it shoots little ragged holes for groups. They have 5r rifling. They hold their tolarences much tighter. Pick one up, you will feel what I am talking about. jmho

Bob
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 AM

My feeling is that some compnies have been coasting on their laurels for far too long. And frankly a nice feeling, well fit and finished exterior doesn't make the interior any more accurate. Look at the WW2 Jap Arisaka. Cheapest external manufacturing of the century, lathe marks, stocks not even sanded, but where it counted they are ahead of the curve. Chrome bores to resist corrosion in tropical climates, fairly accurate for an old military gun too. They had what it took, where it counted. There are differences in separate models from some manufacturers as well. There are some really nice heavier barrel guns from Savage. There are differences in how guns are chambered and how much free bore is ahead of the chamber. A match gun hopefully has a match chamber. I used to shoot a Winchester 52. When the bolt was closed the bulet was already pushed into the rifling. Not in their cheaper 22 rf's. I shoot old guns and many obsolete cartridges. There is a difference in rifling for those old lead bullets that allows them to achieve amazing accuracy for their age. Is the twist and width and depth of grooves matched to the bullet and velocity? You could be better off getting a semi custom barrel put on a used action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 AM

I really like my Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker. Magazine is on the inside of the hinged floorplate, safety is convenient and quiet and it is very accurate. Looks nice too. The only downside was the trigger. Bought mine in 1990, not sure how their triggers are these days. For $35 I had mine fixed up just fine.

It is my go to gun.

Good luck, have fun choosing your rifle!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 02:52 AM
The Man

Do yourself a favor and take a look at the Tikkas. They put out some very accurate out of the box rifles. On top of that the price is very appealing!!

I recently set up a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 for a good friend that was amazingly accurate with most any load I fed it.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Another nod for the Browning A-bolt. There's just too much to like about them....60* bolt lift, tang safety(where it's supposed to be!), hinged floor plate WITH box magazine, lightweight, accurate, well finished, stylish too!

If you were leaning toward a model 7 look into the Micro Hunter line from Browning. Popular calibers(mroe than Rem offers!) and a nice, lightweight, handy package....great mountain or still hunting rifle.

The X-bolt is basically an upgraded version with a bolt release so you can unload without taking it off safety. Also some aesthetic changes.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Model 7 in either 7-08 or 308 and you will never look back. Quality, great trigger, and nice looking. Very accurate, we have 4 in the family all are shooters.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

After looking at the browning A bolt medallions, there is nothing not to like about them. I will have to handle one to get a better feel, but they are very stylish and well finished. Definately not cheaply made. I still like the model 7 cdl, but it's definately not finished nearly as nice as a browning a bolt medallion.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysigafoo
Model 7 in either 7-08 or 308 and you will never look back. Quality, great trigger, and nice looking. Very accurate, we have 4 in the family all are shooters.
i actually already have a model 7 in 7mm-08, and it is accurate and well handling. What i was looking at now was a model 7 cdl in 300wsm. any thoughts?
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 PM

I have had several heavy barrel and sporter howa's all shot moa and smaller, I have rugers and remingtons that shoot good , but they took some tinkering to get them to shoot with the howas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page