Best Way to Ship Firearm In PA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Best Way to Ship Firearm In PA

Never shipped a long gun in state so I need some advice on this one. Who is the easiest and best shipper to use? Are there any special forms required? Does it have to be identified as a firearm? Where can you buy a shipping box? etc, etc.... Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Way to Ship Firearm In PA

The best thing to do is go to WalMart or a pawn shop and buy one of the cheap plastic hard gun cases. I have bought them at pawn shops for $10 a piece. Last one at WalMart was $18. I even buy two cheap locks to lock the case. Then I wrap the case in either the box(if bought at WalMart), or heavy brown paper. And taped very well.

I use FedEx to ship. They are the cheapest, and fastest, and easiest shipper to use. I tell them exactly what it is.
And show them a copy of the FFL that I am shipping it to. Not necessary to do that. But it makes the transaction go smoother.

Make sure you know the local law to where you are sending it. And were you are sending it from. You did not mention your locality, so only you would know that.

Supposedly you can ship to an in state person without an FFL(you can in WV). Personally I will not do that due to liabilty issues. I wil only ship to an FFL, then let them distribute the firearm. This completely resolves you of any liability in the sale. And any liability of future ownership. That is a no brainer to me, but some people do not want to pay the additional FFL. But those are sales I walk away from. Tom.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't tell them anything when I ship a rifle or a shotgun. I've used Post office and UPS. In Pa. you don't need to ship a long gun of any type through FFL only if it goes across state lines, although handguns must go through FFL. The way I see it, I already paid the pics fee when I bought the rifle new. Uncle sam taxs me enough and is into my life to much already. They don't need to know about any of the firearms I sale or buy second hand. In fact, I want a few they don't know about. I have copies of my drivers license and my conceal carry permit photo ID. I physically show people at transaction site and give them copies if they request with my numbers blacked out. And when I sale firearms I always get the same kind of info off of that individual. That covers the JUST INCASE PEOPLE that will chime in here about what if your firearm gets used in a crime and it comes back to you. I will simply hand over the incriminating evidence of who I sold it to with his name and address and his signature on bill of sale I draw up. You can cover your behind without having uncle sam know all your business. Another thing I started doing lately and haven't had any complaints yet is have my wife tag along and take a photo or two. I simply say something like well this was a real good rifle blah blah blah and I'll miss it do you mind if I get a photograph handing it off to you with a handshake or something along those lines. I hate using an FFL when ones not needed--its a waste of money.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i almost always use an ffl for everything. why? easy. i don't want an unknown person to know me or where i live. where one gun lives there are usually more. better be security minded than set up for theft. i plan for the worst and pray i am wrong.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I see your point and well taken, but I'd venture to say a thief in that category isn't going to have the kinda cash to buy one of my firearms anyway. Nor will he have a valid drivers license or conceal carry permit. Basically, it comes down to whatever you the individual is comfortable with. Plus, you have to get a feel of the person. I only sale to guys on here or another forum I'm a member on. Could there be thieves lurking on a hunting site. Yeah sure, I guess,but I think this would be the last place a thief would look for prey. And I highly doubt there is. They like picking on old, young, sick , weak etc. type people. Thieves aren't stupid and I think they can put two and two together and realise the hunter will have other firearms and know how to use them if he decides to breach the hunters home. Furthermore, I only sell to guys that have been a memeber for awhile. I would never sale a firearm to some stranger off the street. And it seems I've always sold and met guys that are 2 hours away(lol) or more and I split the ride time with them. I highly doubt there going to venture from Pottstown or Philly to rob me.

Who is John Galt?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
I even buy two cheap locks to lock the case.
How does the other party open their new gun case? Do you ship the keys seperately or put combination locks on them then give the buyer the combination or do they have to destroy the case to get the firearm (since they didn't buy the case anyway).
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock
Quote:
How does the other party open their new gun case? Do you ship the keys seperately or put combination locks on them then give the buyer the combination or do they have to destroy the case to get the firearm (since they didn't buy the case anyway).
haha

Who is John Galt?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 06:20 PM
The Man

I am not going to attempt to address the misinformation contained in some replies here....

Quite simply, obtain the PA driver's license copy of the buyer. They can redact their driver's license number but you need to verify they are at least 18 years old and a resident of PA. You can then ship the long arm through any common carrier to their DL address....

The USPS is the most convenient. fastest and least expensive, using Priority Mail service. Sending it insured with Restricted Delivery service (Deliver to addressee only) will ensure your buyer must sign for it, thus keeping it out of the hands of kids or anyone else, as well as confirming receipt by your buyer.

The USPS will supply you with a free Priority Mail carton suitable for shipping your long gun. Wrapping it in several layers of bubble wrap will protect it. Tell the USPS clerk the package is Fragile and it will be marked as such....

You have no obligation, as a non- FFL licensed person, to verify the ability of the recipient to own a long gun.

All the above can be verified through ATF and USPS resources available on the Web.

IIRC, no package containing a firearm of any kind, may be labeled as containing such...Federal regulations prohibit this....
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock
Quote:
How does the other party open their new gun case? Do you ship the keys separately or put combination locks on them then give the buyer the combination or do they have to destroy the case to get the firearm (since they didn't buy the case anyway).
I ship the keys-taped to a piece of cardboard in a separate envelope. These locks keep out everybody, except the most hardened criminal. And you are not keeping them out.

As I said I make sure it goes to an FFL. If the guys above want to take a chance then go ahead. But just because a guy has a drivers license or is a board member, or you have his information. That means nothing. I know people who have all those things are not legally allowed to buy firearms for many reasons.

IF you want to open yourself up to that can of worms. Then by all means go ahead-it is your business. But there is no way I am going to open myself up to that can.

I have worked hard all my life to have attained what I have. No way I am going to open my self up to a law suit and loose it all so someone else can save a dime. Tom.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not sure how USPS can be different in different states?? But in WV the only way you can ship through USPS is if you filled out a card prior to shipping the package. Then USPS approves the card and allows you to ship through that Post Office only.

If you walk up to a USPS office here in my area of WV they WILL NOT ship without that prior approval, been there. But it could be different in different states. But I can not imagine a state more liberal than WV on gun laws??

And how would you possibly be able to check out if a person is legal to accept a firearm without the FBI doing a back ground check??

Again I agree with you that it is legal to do. But legal and prudent do not always mix. Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page