.35 Remington - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

.35 Remington

OK, let's hear your stories good or bad. Throw in some of dad and grandad's stories if you want. Who likes this cartridge, who hates it. What's it good for. Let's just discuss this cartridge. I was a .35 Remington guy for years. I handloaded it and hunted with it a lot. Back in those days I always seemed to have a .30-30 or .32 Special in my hands when I filled my tags though. I did take a seven pointer with the .35 remington in 2003 on the third day of rifle season. It was just before dark and this buck came out into the field. I shot him at 100 yards behind the shoulder with a 150 grain Core-Lokt. He went down on his front legs and tried running away. I shot twice more and he was down. I quit using the 150 grain after that. I just picked up a new to me Marlin in .35 and I'm starting to generate some interest in the old round again so I'd like to hear some stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: .35 Remington

i personally think its the best all around cartridge out there for pennsylvania hunting.been looking to get one again myself.would think with a 200gr bullett it would be an awesome bear gun
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Moose, that's funny you posted this. Even though ill probably be buying a 7mm-08. The 35 Whelen keeps calling me. I've always wanted to experiment with that caliber. And I'm still considering it. I'm curios to read the posts you drum up with this one.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Shot my first deer with the 35 rem. I use the 200 grainers for mine. I also have the new XLR and I will tell you I love it. It is much smoother action that Marlins from years ago. My father in law always told me I had to be rough with a lever action so it would cycle right. These new ones are super smoothe. I had 300 rounds reloaded for me with the new 200 grain hornady ammo and I'm getting great groups at 100 yards. I got to use the 35 last year and shot 3 does in 2 states and all three dropped in their tracks. No tracking what so ever. I'm very happy with mine.Stainless with black laminate makes also for a good looking rifle.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Probably one of the better cast bullet cartridges available. Perfect mix of velocity and case fill. Tom.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 PM

my first buck, my first gun, back in the mid 70s, love it i have 3 of them all marlins, my orginal, my dads , and my brothers, 200 grain round nose,last year started my oldest son on my dads 35 with the new 200 hornady rovulation bullets, they shoot great, good gun for our pa woods black bear, and white tail.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

35 rem is Ok. I load for it. The marlin micro groove barrels are not a help.

Not the best Marlin lever for PA hunting, that is reserved for the awesome 375 wincheter marlin 336 lever gun. Just the best. The 38-55 is second and the 35 right behind it,
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:44 PM

my grandpa give me his 35 rem pump just be4 he passed 2 years ago ..its iron sights its has the spiral pump..i plan on takin a deer with it...
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Sage

When I was a kid, one of our neighbors hunted deer with his grandad's 141 pump in 35 Rem. He used to grumble about it, but was too cheap to buy another rifle. He usually managed to take a deer with it each year, too. It was the first rifle in 35 Rem. that I was ever around.

Some friends had them, but since I already had a M94 in 32 Special, the cartridge never interested me all that much.

That changed when I "rescued" a Marlin 336 Sporting Carbine in 35 Rem. some years ago. Have killed a coupla deer with it since, love that little devil. Very accurate with 200gr Core Lokts, enjoy shooting it with the Williams receiver sight I added to it years ago.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 PM

BrownTrout, go with 35 be happy....later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page