Svage 30 30 325a - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Svage 30 30 325a

Hi Guys!! Im looking into buying my son a deer rifle. I found one of these for sale..I know them to be reliable rifles but was also looking for any further +/- feedback..Also, the guy is looking for best offers.. Rifle is in good condition and also has simmons 3x9 scope... What would be a respectable offer?? Not looking to over pay.. Again, appreciate all feedback and thankx in advance..

Pittsburgh Boxing Club 51
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 12:22 AM
The Man

Re: Svage 30 30 325a

I saw a Stevens 325a in 30-30 in fairly good shape at a recent auction. It ended up selling for $265 without optics if I remember correctly.

I've monkeyed around with a Savage 340, which is virtually the same rifle as the 325 except for the bolt handle. I generally liked the gun although the 225 Winchester chambering gave me fits in finding an accurate load. I don't believe the 325's were drilled and tapped for scope mounts either, but I could be wrong??

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 AM
The Man

My friend bought one for $100..Sold it for $100 too...I was angry that he didn't give me a crack at it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
I don't believe the 325's were drilled and tapped for scope mounts either, but I could be wrong??
I could be wrong, but they're probably D/T'd for the same "side saddle" mounts that the 340 series rifles used?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:41 AM
The Man

I was curious so I checked into it

Seems on the 325's The make/model & caliber designation was marked on the LH side of the receiver. If someone drills & taps it for the later scope mounts, there will usually be no model or caliber designation showing as the scope base covers them up.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great starter gun, just about the best. We have one with 2 1" segments of the stock cut off. All the sons and grandsons have started on it and everyone had killed at least one deer with it. I reload 30-30 so we can start shooting off the bench with light loads and work up slowly.

It does take a side mount, but DON"T get the Savage moount. It is one pice and a piece of junk. Get the side mount Weaver with detachable rings. It is robust. Be careful when torquing in the base screwes, those receivers are very soft and the threads easily stripped.

Some of those had pressed checkering, some plain birch with a walnut stain. I stripped mine and made it natural, looks like maple.

With the scope and mount anything under $350 is a good price. I'm not a fan of Simmons scopes.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Sage

Agreed on the Weaver mount system. I have two sets of rings for my Savage M340 in 22 Hornet. It came with a Weaver K2.5, but I later bought a higher set of Weaver rings to use a 4x12x40 scope on it. The original K2.5 is back on it now.

From what I can tell from reading, only minor differences in the Savage 340 and Stevens 325. Apparently there was also a Springfield variant in 30-30 only?

My M340 was used when I bought it in 1964. Walnut stock, uncheckered. Years later a cousin got a new one in 222 and they're pretty much identical, except his stock has pressed checkering and is probably birch?

About the only 30-30 repeater that's in the same price class these days as the M340, are the Savage M170 pumps.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 AM

The Springfield variant was a model 840. I bought one at an auction in March of this year with a 3x9 Japan made Tasco scope on it for $260.00. Gun is in very good condition. I go to quite a few gun auctions and they usually average between $200 & 250.00,but they will have some marks on them.I paid a little more for mine cause it was the nicest one I ever saw at an auction.

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page