Pig/Hog bullet for a .270 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Pig/Hog bullet for a .270

A friend of mine is going down south this year on a pig/hog hunt and asked me to load some .270's for him. He told me to pick any bullet and load up a batch for him to sight in and take along. He usually just hunts deer with Remington core-locks.

My question, after looking through the Cabaelas shooting catalog - not sure of what bullet to use. Thinking Nosler partition, Accubond, Hornady GMX, Swift A-Frames or Scirocco, Barnes triple Shocks... Must be either 140 or 150 grains...

What would you guys load up and use... Good/Bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Pig/Hog bullet for a .270

Usually whatever bullet you use for deer works well on hogs too. Unless he knows his chances are great on a 300+lb hog CoreLockts should be fine(and probably even then too). I personally like the Hornady Interlock SP bullets.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 AM

I've killed a couple dozen of them, including 2 300lb+ using core lokts, 130 grain. I have never had a problem.

I killed this 280lber in Oklahoma back in February. Hit him with a 130 grain Winchester Silver Tip. The shot was good, but the penetration was not what I would have expected. He didn't go far, but with these critters, a wounded hog can make for a very long day

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Coreloks are good hog bullets, partitions are terrible. Yep, I'd get 150 gr.

I've killed lots of hogs, 308, 375 handgun, 44 magnum, etc. They are VERY difficult to kill if you are shooting for the heart/lungs. You must miss the shoulder and angle up into the heart. I've never butchered a southern hog with out finding other bullets in it 22 rf, 6mm, and even a 30 cal. They seem to absorb ammo, and keep going. Since hogs will run to the thickes stuff when hit, dropping them is key. I've looked for/tracked wounded hogs in S. Carolina , Florida and Georga swamps at night....not fun.

last year I killed two. One with a 12 ga slug, the bullet was inthe off side under the hide, completely mushroomed, shoulder shot in thick creek bottom, it ran 50 yards, and was still mean when I got to it. the second was with a 22-250..it never moved. Why...head shot. I've changed completely my hog shooting. I now only take head shots. It is a waiting game to get the ear/eye profile but it works great and doesn't damage meat/hams.

Most southern guided hunts are over bait in the early morning or late evening. So a good scope is a help.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Like Harry said, you better try to drop him in his tracks, or you better take mans best friend with you to find him

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

On the moose hunting forums I talk on the .270 guys have great luck with the 150 grain round nose Core-Lokt. And if it does well on Moose it will do the job on hogs.

(please don't tell Big Ken that I admitted the .270 can be a good choice for moose, thanks in advance)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM

I shot two hogs in South Carolina this past May. One using a 165gr NBT in a 30/06. It was a smaller hog and dropped in it's tracks. The second, a much larger hog, was shot with a 200gr Speer Hot Core out of a 338 Federal. I never heard a bullet impact like the one on this shot. It was hit in the vitals, quartering away, but ran a good hundred yards before falling over. Luckly, this hog was shot in a field and not in the swamp or I would probably not have found it. The 200gr bullet never exited. Two guys we hunted with that week shot and killed nice size hogs with Core Lokts without any issues. My cousin shot one in the eye with a Swift Scirocco out of a 7mm mag (with that shot, it didn't really matter what bullet he used). When they took our pictures that night with our hogs, all were facing the camera except his.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

since we all know 270 bounce off deer, probably not good hog gun. LOL
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Took this guy through the shoulder with a .257 TSX100. I think most any deer/bear type 270 would be fine. A 140 accubond would be an excellent choice.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice pig griz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page