7mm-08 for elk - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

7mm-08 for elk

What do you think about using the 7mm-08 for our Pa. elk? Ive been selling off some of my magnums here and there lately and have been kicking around this caliber for quite some time. IMO, where I'd be hunting Pa elk if I'm ever lucky enough to draw-- shots would definately be under 200 yards and probably under or right around 100 yards for that matter. With todays bullets, like, partitions, accubonds, TSX etc. I think it would make a fine Pa. elk rifle with shot placement being critical as with any other caliber. I'm betting the 08 would put the smack down on one through the boiler room. I have a 6.5 swede that I know would put the smackdown on one, but unfortunately were not allowed to use them. I'd love to use the Swede. I'm not going to list my life long injuries, but I'm pretty busted up and I'm liking the magnums in the safe less and less these days. The new swede is my new favorite rifle and caliber to shoot. Unbelieveable accuracy with little recoil and from my understanding devasting on whitetails and european Alg. Would the .338 win mag or any number followed by mag make a better elk rifle? Sure I would say as long as shot placement is still emphasised. Definately out west with longer shots, but I think the 08 with the right bullet would make a nice Pa. elk rifle. Or am I just getting old and soft? What say you on the 08 for our Pa. elk?

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned

Re: 7mm-08 for elk

If you think the 6.5x55 Swedish would be fine, why would there be any question about the 7mm-08?

FWIW, the 7mm-08 is my go-to deer rifle. I'm sure that it would do fine on elk as well at any reasonable range.
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I own a 7mm-08 and I think it is a fine cartridge but I lost a large Virginia buck the other year.I shot it about 50 yards with the 140 grain Remington Corelockt.I tracked it for a mile finding alot of blood but then the blood disappeared.I think I nipped the lungs and I now am trying the Barnes 120 grain TSX beefed up to 2900 FPS.I would say the 08 is light for elk.If you want a light recoiling rifle for elk get a 270 with 150 grain bullets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Premium bullets and pick your shots carefully. Wait till it is broadside and a 140 TSX will put it down.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Bore
If you think the 6.5x55 Swedish would be fine, why would there be any question about the 7mm-08?

FWIW, the 7mm-08 is my go-to deer rifle. I'm sure that it would do fine on elk as well at any reasonable range.
Basically, I'm fishing for opinions, thats why I asked the question. And was looking for some good and honest input from fellas with experience and knowledge with the cartridge in question. Thanks!

Who is John Galt?

post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM
The Man

Light but adequate....I have killed a lot of deer with the 7mm-08 that have gone right down at the shot and I have a lot of faith in it...Not saying it's a 300 yard elk rifle but out to around 200-250 yards I would not expect a properly hit elk to go far.
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The 7mm-08 worked find on an 800 pound bull moose in Maine last year. As in most things shot placement is the key. If you shoot the rifle well then you should have no difficulties.
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
The Man

Without a doubt the 7-08 will do just fine on Elk. Loaded with a quality bullet in 140 or even 160 grains I see no reason at all that it wouldn't get the job done??

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Check this out...

http://sed88.tripod.com/rem7/

Hunt Safe
Jack
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

We should blacken out the part about flatter than the 06. Moosehunter is going to come unglued. haha

Thanks! When I first looked at the ballistic comparison chart I was like this dude is smoking something serious, but then I realized he was comparing 7mm-08 handloads to 7RM factory loads.

Who is John Galt?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page