E.R. Shaw rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

E.R. Shaw rifles

Thinking in the next 3 or 4 months I would like to get a gun from them. Does anyone have experience with them. What do you like and dislike about them? They are producing a gun called the Mark VII with multiple options. ANY experience??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Re: E.R. Shaw rifles

top notch company,been in business for 30 years plus,you can have it your way with them, plus it's all PA using PA craftsmen. highly recommend!

the meat is sweeter closest to the bone
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

Hey vapor trail. I guess the news of your demise was rather premature? good to see you're back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice to have you back and as always enjoy your input on firearms. Maybe somebody was having a bad day. We all do at times and often regret our actions towards others. Oh well, good to see you back

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonyk
They are producing a gun called the Mark VII with multiple options. ANY experience??
Only what I read and saw. A guy had one at the club in 308. They're built on a Savage AT action, use a shouldered barrel instead of the nut, aftermarket recoil lug and stock. I assume the receiver face was squared, but what other tweaks they may do, truing, timing and etc I don't know. The guy at the range wouldn't let me rip his apart to see for some strange reason.

IIRC his groups were hanging in the 3/4"-1" range.

Give Chris a call. He'll give you all the details,prices and etc.

Bill
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shaw rifles is a NEW company. Separate from the barrel making operation. I've seen their rifles, Ok but seemed pricey to me; Shaw barrels are OK but are never seen on the competitive circuit. Shaw barrels has, under contract, made barrels for Remington/Savage and others over the years....decent quality for the price. I think of it as a 'factory barrel'.

Shaw is promoting a spiral fluting on their rifles. It is a lighter barrel as more metal is removed. I didn't buy into it, as it seems to me the heat will cause the barrel to distort radicaly, twisting...not what I want in an accurate rifle.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I was also wondering about the spiral barrel. Thank you guys for the insight on the company.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, the Shaw people seem to be happy about the spiral fluting because they got a patent on it. I read the patent before I talked to the Shaw people about what they saw as the good about the spiral....never got a good answer..except it reduces the weight and helps on cooling on hot barrels. Never had a barrel heating problem on big game hunts. And a thinner barrel will weigh the same or less. I think Browning had some spirals on the first 2-3 inches of their barrels years ago. It was just cosmetic, but would seem to do the same as Shaw's except it wasn't carried close to the muzzle.

Wonder, does anyone thing the spiral Shaw barrels are 'cool'.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Spirals have been around for a while. It was another method of increasing the surface area to supposedly speed up cooling. It is also supposed to have the advantage of a lighter barrel with the stiffness of a bull barrel. I don't see the advantage to anyone except bench shooter and prairie dog hunters. Then it might be of advantage, but not on a big game rifle. Unless it was an long range rifle and to reduce weight and increase stiffness like a Sendero.

I don't know if there is any merit to spirals over straight flutes. I don't think its possible for the barrel to distort in the shape of the flutes. To my way of thinking that could only happen if one side was cool while the other got really hot. The heat from shooting or setting in the sun would be uniform. Under that extreme case, any barrel could be susceptible.

I personally have considered one. But only cause its a lighter weight replacement to the current bull barrel and I need the profile to remain the same OD since the channel of my stock is already cut.

I don't think it looks terrible.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The claim of the shaw barrle fluting is that it is a spiral that is curved in the same direction as the rifling, dah.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page