Stock refinishing... - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 02:56 AM
Sage

Re: Stock refinishing...

I use Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover available at Lowes in a quart size. You need latex gloves!!!

Also buy some plastic putty scrapers, a couple of cheap chip brushes, and find yourself a old tooth brush. This stuff is waterless - on and off.

You apply it and let it sit and work. I work over a large plastic tub (something to contain drips and the old finish.

You scrape old finish and this stuff off with the putty knife. Then with paper towels and mineral spirits wash it off and stop the stripping action ( get a can of mineral spirits and some extra brushes for the heavier areas and checking too).

Make sure you have everything. Wear safety glasses and a old long sleeve shirt.

Some finishes come off easily. Others are tough. You may need to repeat the process on parts of some stocks. The back side of a plastic knife is handy for scrapping tough areas - gently..

Once done, if you have some light finish left - sand it off. Then let the stock dry out for at least a week. Leaves a clean surface that requires no sanding, but I do a light high grit # overall before applying finish. A great way to check the entire piece before finishing.

The tooth brushes clean the checking real nice. Just let the stripper work in those areas longer before getting after them with the brush.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 08:05 AM

+ on the spray urethane

benchrest
post #63 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The problem with urethane is when you ding it, it will look like its dinged until you refinish it. With a oil finish, buff it out and re-coat the area.
Also, IMHO, oil gives you a nicer depth to the wood.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:41 PM

Not to dig up an old post....

I am refinishing my O/U 28, and I was thinking of using BLO. Would I be able to throw a coat of poly on over top of it once I'm done?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page