Bore snake ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Bore snake ?

I own several and have heard different ways to use em.Do you all use solvent or oil on em? I,ve never done the oil but have used a little solvent but hear conflicting reports on where is the best place on the snake to put it.What is you all,s advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Bore snake ?

Holy smokes I was just about to ask the same thing.

God Bless the USA.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'd like to hear some user feedback also...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Banned

I run the bore snake 3-4 times with nothing on it, then I put a little hoppes 9 with weatherguard on the "loop" at the end after all brushes and pull it through another 2 times, 3 if the gun just came in from a wet hunting session or if its being put away for offseason. I have bore snakes for every gun I own and will get one for every new caliber I buy, imo they are the quickest and easiest way to clean a rifle hands down!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 06:19 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

I don't use solvent on mine but I use rem oil or break free on the brush and loop .
Use a rod and brush when my gun needs a scrubing .
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I too have one for every caliber I own. (well...almost)

I typically spray G-96 cleaner down the bore...let it sit for a few minutes...then run the snake thru it.

Im not worried about it being on the snake, because I'll do the same thing next time.

Take a kid hunting, it's the future of our sport and the future is now!
Wired Outdoors, Field Staff
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
The Man

What do you guys then use to oil the inside of the barrel?It seems like you still need a cleanin rod like BBB stated anyway.Use the snake for frequent cleanings rod and brush for thorough cleanings and to use with a patch to oil down the barrel.Theaceman has a good routine but you still have to oil down the bore.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure...I dont oil the bore, never have.

My dad used nothing but Hoppe's #9 to clean everything. I own 10 x's the oil he ever owned and that aint much. LOL

Take a kid hunting, it's the future of our sport and the future is now!
Wired Outdoors, Field Staff
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

my opinion of a bore snake is it's better than nothing, but not by much. Get yourself a good Cleaning rod and bore guide, a couple brushes for each caliber and you'll be way better off. A brush without solvent, or putting a barrel away with oil?? This could be a whole other thread, Cleaning and proper storage. If you ever get the chance to look in your barrel with a bore scope, not a light, but a bore scope you would be surpised. Getting carbon fouling out is difficult enough with solvent. Go to a few barrel makers sites and search cleaning. Krieger has a nice site and if you navigate your way through Dan Lilja's site he actually has a video of the inside of a barrel taken with a bore scope. It isn't to show the cleaning process but it is very interesting. Bartlein's site is the one I like the best and also the guys I buy the most barrels from. I would ignore the break-in process on factory barrels, they are generally so rough the break in process is a waste of time. Cleaning is not!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shoot trap during the off season (non-hunting) usually once a week. I bought the Hoppe's bore snake that has a double brush at the top and it's the slickest thing for cleaning a shotgun bore ever.....EVER!!!.

Two pulls thru the barrel with a spray of the Hoppes on the copper brushes and you could comb your hair from the gleen off those barrel bores....if you head was small enough. But..I do know a few pin heads....sorry, I'll stay on track.

I shoot an over\under and the bore's are clean in under 2 minutes. Then I wipe down the outside, the action, then do a quick wipe with an oil patch outside. When I get home, I run a oil patch down the bore (light one if I'm going to shoot again soon, heavier if not).

These are the neatest things since sliced bread.

SW

(Didn't they invent sliced bread in the '70's?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page