Possibly trading rifles....your thoughts???? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Possibly trading rifles....your thoughts????

Considering trading my Winchester Model 70 300 Win Mag for a Marlin 1895 45/70 (would prefer Guide Gun Big Loop or SBL or the likes).....your thoughts??? After my recent thread looking into the 45/70 and getting it in a single shot form, I am thinking of forgoing that and simply getting the Marlin that I have wanted for so long.

The 300 is a great gun and off a bench I can shoot it well, but off hand the gun is way to long for me. I truthfully only carry it in bear season and figure the 45/70 may be a better choice for my type of hunting, plus the shorter lever action gun feels far better in my hands as well; I hunt deer currently with a savage 99 .243. I think the 45/70 would be a great compliment to my .243, 06 and dads 30/30 which I can use at any time. I mainly bear hunt with a crew or deer hunt in the woods, shots are 150 and under with the whole first week of deer season being bear season for me too; so again the 45/70 seems to be a good choice. I originaly got the 300 because my pap had one, it's what I "thought" you needed to kill a bear, and I have aspirations of going out west. Well I am not the 6'6" 300lb man my grandfather was to handle this model 70 300 (this is not the same gun my grandfather owned, he owned a model 70 but not this one, if it was his gun this isn't even a question), I know you dont need a 300 to kill a black bear, and I am a college student who cannot afford to go to ohio to hunt deer at this point let alone "out west" to utilize this 300 lol. I am oh so close...so give me a shove one way or another.....

PS. Anyone know any shops, or individuals, with an 1895 G they may wanna trade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 05:21 AM
TEE

Re: Possibly trading rifles....your thoughts????

I know of a shop with a new blued non-ported marlin pre-remington 45/70 in Harrisburg.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

You know what the price tag is on it currently by any chance? Regardless do you mind geting me a number, or name of the shop so I can give them a call....Pre-Remington is key, forgot that in my original post!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Yes, focus on pre-Remington. I am half-looking for one myself, and I was a complete MO-RON and let go a ported Marlin in 45-70 looking new, at Cabela's used rack, marked for $475. Yes, I'm a little slow.

I looked at a new Remlin and holy cow....I believe the earlier Remington/Marlin hybrids were better, but the newest ones are just atrocious.

The news about Cerberus selling the Freedom Group is nothing but good news to me....if Herstal buys as is rumored they might, that can't do anything but revive the venerable Remington and Marlin guns that used to be so good and are now so bad.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 05:50 PM
The Man

For your style of huntin I think it would be a great deal to trade.I,d be patient and you will find your sweet deal.The REP Marlins have improved since their inception so don,t rule one out.Just check it out real good.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd
Yes, focus on pre-Remington. I am half-looking for one myself, and I was a complete MO-RON and let go a ported Marlin in 45-70 looking new, at Cabela's used rack, marked for $475. Yes, I'm a little slow.
That is/was an awesome deal, I am not sure I would want a ported barrel though.

The 45/70 is not a target/bench gun, atleast it wont be used that way by me, it will be a hunting gun. While hunting, especially bear hunting, hearing protection isnt my first thought and I have tried wearing hearing protection while hunting; it ends in one of 2 ways A) I shove the ear plugs in my backpack after dropping them 50times during the first 100yds of a bear drive or B)I flat out forget to put them on/in my ears when a shot presents itself. As for the main thing a suppresor is supposed to do, reduce felt recoil and muzzle jump, when shooting at game I've never met a single person who feels or remembers feeling the recoil of the shot. If I was better at remembering my ear protection or had a better kind of ear protection to use, I would definitely consider a ported barrel....but at this time I will likely be seeking out non ported guns.

It is funny my buddy and I were having this same convo last night when I first brought up this idea of swapping guns, and when I told him the gun I was thinking of he turned the convo straight to ported vs. non ported. His favorite caliber is a 7mm mag, he has multiple guns chambered in it, but only shoots 2 of them while the third, which just so happens to be stainless 700 with a beautiful leupold scope and likely the most expensive of the three guns and undoubtedly when he bought it thought it would be the most used of the three, simply sets in the corner collecting dust and he say's the gun hasnt even had a full box of ammo run through it!!! He say's that with the porting on that gun it is unbarable to shoot without hearing protection, it is still noticeably loud with even "muff" style ear protection being worn, and the muzzle blast is insane; meaning this near $2,000 setup has never seen the woods and has only ever seen the range once for about 7 shells!!! I have done my research into videos/reviews online/youtube of the ported vs. non ported 45/70 marlins, and while you can tell a slight difference off the bench of muzzle rise between the two what is more noticeable in the videos is the muzzle blast and noise are much greater on the ported guns; I know I can handle the recoil, for extended range time I can pull out the sissy sled (AKA Lead Sled) if need be, but I know if this gun makes my ears bleed or blinds me when pulling the trigger it will get utilized even less than the .300
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 02:07 PM
TEE

Staudts gun shop in harrisburg. Price was $680. I would have bought it if it was ported
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE
Staudts gun shop in harrisburg. Price was $680. I would have bought it if it was ported
Thank you sir, I have a trade in the works with a forum member...but if that falls through I will give these guys a call. Thank you again.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 04:49 PM

You have a caliber and want another.Simple to me,either trade it or put up the cash and have both.Now you just need to find the trade or cash.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would not make that trade. I like the 4570 but love the .300! Its just me but I like the added reach the .300 gives.

will hunt for food....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page