Buck shot in SEPA (SRA) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Buck shot in SEPA (SRA)

I ask a lot of questions some of which may be kind of silly, hope nobody minds but I'm totally new and even with a lot of research some things feel fuzzy to me .

So, the other day I asked here about what game me and my husband could work on hunting between the two of us, with the guns we have. He owns a 22LR and I have a 20g shotgun (fixed full choke) that can take 3" shells. I forgot that buckshot was legal in the SRA's which is the closest hunting area to where we live (SEPA), making it more feasible to use a shotgun around here for bigger game like deer, I assume? We are pretty frugal people and would like to work with what we have, especially because we've enjoyed shooting these guns very much. But I am also interested in being as humane as possible. Is there a buckshot shell that you would use on deer with a 20g? Can I shoot buckshot with this gun. I am assuming I can - it's smoothbore - just looking for opinions. It's pump action so the action is legal (not semi-auto). Is this how people hunt deer in the SRA's generally if they are not using a bow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM

Re: Buck shot in SEPA (SRA)

Not sure on 20ga buckshot....problem is it will be lacking pellet count under the 12ga....not sure what number buckshot is typically used to hunt deer...not sure how popular buckshot is..i dont live on that side of the state...

Cant you use a slug??? Id take a slug over buckshot pretty much every day if legal...especially if you can find a used rifles slug barrel and shoot sabot slugs..

Range will be limited with buckshot...id imagine less then 50yds..could he much less...

If it is what you wanted to use, figure out what area exactly it is legal first...then what # buckshot should be most effective...then pattern your gun and see how it shoots and figure out your max effective range...

The fixed full choke could be another limitation..might not pattern great..i know when i patterned #4 buck for coyote hunting my gun liked a more open choke opposed to some of the real tight ones i tried...

Hopefully some more knowledgeable people answer..i believe it is only 1 county it is legal and dont know how popular it is...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Never feel bad about asking a question, can't learn everything on your own. I agree pellet count on the 20 will be less than a 12 and if your gun shoots them a slug is better choice.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 PM

I have some friends that use buckshot in the late season. They always do well. They drive small thick woodlots & second growth stuff. Their shoots are generally under 40 yards. Most use their short barrel 12 gauge turkey guns, but some use 20 gauge.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

check the reg about the use of Buck shot. I would use Federal 3 inch copper plated 00 buck. I like a more open choke but if ya keep the range close (50-60 yards) it will put meat in the ground. Shot placement is key. I have used this load in 20 ga and it works just fine.

will hunt for food....
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Sage

Copper coated Federal as mentioned above cant beat em and no yyou cant use slugs in a buckshot area.....Come down to Delaware , our entire state is shotgun and I mostly use slugs, but 00 Buck is usually my first round.....in thick stuff....
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Regular Visitor

DANGER!!!DO NOT shoot slugs with a FULL CHOKE!!!! DANGER

THERE IS NO SHAME IN RUNNING THE BUFFALO OFF A CLIFF
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I forgot to say slugs are questionable in this gun because of the full choke, according to everything I've read. The special regulations areas are the really populated WMU's around Philly - Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Philadelphia (I think Allegheny County, too?). They even allow baiting on farms with a special permit. I am checking in with the store where I bought it to see if they can help. They had said if I ever wanted to switch out the barrel for a more versatile one, I should bring it in. I really like how the gun shoots and that it takes 3" shells but the choke is limiting, except maybe we can use it for buckshot. Delaware is a nice idea - I did my BOW course in Delaware and just like the state and the hunting/conservation people I met.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Have to check the regs...not all SRAs allow buckshot....Allegheny county is SRA but no buckshot...slugs and muzzloaders and bows...part of beaver county falls in the same WMU and we can use rifles...always thought the buckshot was 1 county or maybe a wmu now...

Could also have the barrel tapped for choke tubes by a gun smith...

Could buy a rifled barrel for use with sabot slugs and have a good deer gun...

Lots of options...just gotta figure out whats best for you...

And like was said, asking questions is the only way to learn!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 PM
The Man

picking up an inline used sluggun or a rifled barrel for your current shotgun would probably be your best option. bowhunting would be another good option

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page