cutting down a barrel? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

cutting down a barrel?

any cons to cutting down a barrel on a 22?? i have a marlin 25n...mainly used coon hunting, trapping, and if i ever go hunting tree rats i take it...it is scoped...

trapping and coon hunting i carry it a long ways sometimes...i dont really care about the weight..it isnt super heavy...

but thinking of cutting it down because the last 4-6" of the barrel is just taking a beating and scratched to heck and now rusting...slung muzzle up or down it still catches on EVERYTHING..pretty hard to be easy on a rifle in the dark while leading a dog out of thick woods..

just wondering if there are any cons before i have it done?? probably go clear down to right around legal length..not really concerned about loss of velocity and power...i dont shoot anything big with it..accuracy would be a concern...right now its pretty dang accurate..

thoughts?? thought about buying a new rifle just for the trapline and coon hunting...but i really cant find anything else i like..me and tube fed rifles dont get along..and a single shot wouldnt work either as once in a while a head shot is impossible on a coon so i gotta take a body shot and get a head shot right away after that..so i limit myself a bit in my requirements..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: cutting down a barrel?

What about a 22 revolver?

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

ive thought about it...i just doubt i could ding a coon in the head like i strive to do...i want my coon to come out of the tree dead and dont want my pelts with more holes than needed...i get upset with them dang coon that hide their head and i have to take a body shot..i know i couldnt do it open sighted..which would mean a scoped revolver..i am already wearing a belt with a battery pack, spotlight etc..be just as tough to carry a scoped revolver as a rifle id think...then im not sure on how accurate i could be with one....thought on the trapline i'd LOVE one..i just dont wanna spend the money for one to dispatch a few critters and plink with...

years ago dad bought me a browning buckmark...i wish it was a ruger single six now that i trap..still waiting on the day that we can use auto loaders...it gives a trapper absolutely NO advantage and there is no safety factor or anything..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 AM

How about cutting down the stock to something like a modified pistol grip? This would sure shorten up the length and you could rig your sling to accomidate the shortened stock. I only know of 2 x instances where guys cut down .22 barrels (my brother and his buddy did them) and both guns lost all sorts of accuracy. They tried crowning the cuts with a ballgrinder on an electric drill. One of thes guys read a shadetree gunsmithing account of how to do this and something was lost in the translation. Ruined 2 nice Remington .22's. Also, have you thought of cutting off the stock bacl of the pistol grip and adding a wire folding one? Just a couple thoughts.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

take it to a smith and have it cut and crowned properly.

"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor."

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon375
take it to a smith and have it cut and crowned properly.
Cut yourself. Leave it a little long and follow harry potterfields video.

If it doesn't work, then take it to a smith, but leave him enough to work with.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Personally I'd go the scoped revolver, or aimpoint on a revolver and put in a chesty puller rig.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

thanx highcountry! i'd probably take it to the smith and be done with it..shouldnt cost a ton..i will have to pay attention tonite while hunting and see if my idea will actually help...

id LOVE a scoped ruger single six..i need to play with one and see if i think i could knock a coon out easily with it...and, it'd be the perfect practice gun for the black hawk etc that i been wanting to buy for hunting...lol...

right now, as a quick fix, my bank account likes having the barrel cut lol..not that i dont WANT guns to follow me home..just getting to a spot in life where my toy buying might slow up..

i know there are cheaper options...but i want a 44 or 454 ruger..so might as well go with the single six as a little brother..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 PM
The Man

I head shoot coon out of the top of the tallest oak trees with a single shot contender pistol. I have a 12 inch 22 match barrel. 99% of the time they are dead when they hit the ground. If not it usually dont take the dog much to finish the job.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've bin thinking this very same thing...an id really hate to get the barrel cut but that seems like what ill be doin..ill just make it a project gun just for coonin..!

~bake that possum good an brown lay them sweet tader's round an round~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page