Kind of a dumb question but interested in opinions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Kind of a dumb question but interested in opinions

So, my husband and I have some firearms to start off with. We are not hunters yet - we're just this year trying to learn and practice shooting and scout some and learn (a lot!). I have a 20g full choke shotgun with the extra capacity for 3" shells. He's got a .22LR. I'm trying to figure out between us what game we can hunt with what we have now. I have a listing of which guage and caliber and ammo to use for different game species which I've been studying, but I was curious to hear what folks' opinions might be on what might be a good place to start. We were mainly set on starting out with squirrel but upland hunting is very appealing, too, and my shotgun instructor thought the 3" shells might do for turkey. Does anybody have any opinions on what we might think about? I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Kind of a dumb question but interested in opinions

Although these are smaller calibers the options aren't too bad for a beginner/

20 guage:
small game
squirells
rabbit
grouse
pheasant
crows
turkey (fall and spring)

late season (longer visiblilty and shot opportunity)
small game
squirell
rabbit

I am sure you could use them for other game, but that would be a starter. Stick with small game and you will learn a lot about other animals.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Sage

You have to list the actions of each weapon for a more accurate assessment

ie/ a semi auto 22lr would not be legal for any hunting in Pa

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

with those two guns you can hunt any game in PA. the 20 gauge could be used for small game and turkey and with slugs it could be used for deer and even bear. the modern 20 gauge saboted slugs are equivalent to a 45/70 in velocity. you would need to see what accuracy is like with the slugs. usually pretty decent. the 22 is good for squirrel and sitting rabbits.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpgun
with those two guns you can hunt any game in PA. the 20 gauge could be used for small game and turkey and with slugs it could be used for deer and even bear. the modern 20 gauge saboted slugs are equivalent to a 45/70 in velocity. you would need to see what accuracy is like with the slugs. usually pretty decent. the 22 is good for squirrel and sitting rabbits.
It would need another barrel to be able to use slugs in it - not sure how easy it woud be to do? I like it (no recoil) but it doesn't fit perfectly and it's a very inexpensive gun, so I need to think about whether it deserves money invested or not.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle
You have to list the actions of each weapon for a more accurate assessment

ie/ a semi auto 22lr would not be legal for any hunting in Pa
Not semi-auto - that much we picked up on for hunting. It's a bolt action and the shotgun is pump ('cause I'm a lefty shooting right).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Sage

Perfect!

Any small game with the .22 and anything in Pa that is legal to hunt with the exception of elk with the 20 ga.

Although if the shotgun has a fixed full choke I would not recommend that you shoot slugs out of it so that would nullify its usefullness for deer and bear.

You would need different shotshells for the various types of game , steel shot for waterfowl, slugs for deer and bear, fine shot (4, 5, 6, & 7 1/2) for small game and turkey..

You're good to go!

wmu 3A
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
DVD
Frequent Contributor

You're fine. You have what you NEED to hunt in PA. A 20g rifled slug will work for deer or bear. 3" High brass shot 4,5, and 6 for turkey. 2.75" high brass 5 or 6 shot for upland birds. 2.75 low brass in 6 or 7.5 for grouse or tree rats. 22LR for plinking, stalking, still hunting, and long shots at small game. I have a 12g and 20g, but for years I've only use the 12 for turkey. Being from Phila., I remember the challenges breaking into hunting 15 years ago. MOST hunters will be happy to help, so don't be discouraged by the cumudgeons. Also, I admire the fact that you are doing research BEFORE jumping into this brotherhood and sisterhood of hunting. Your book knowledge will support the field experiences that lie ahead if you stick with it!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Banned

The 20 gauge is plenty for turkey.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle
Perfect!

Any small game with the .22 and anything in Pa that is legal to hunt with the exception of elk with the 20 ga.

Although if the shotgun has a fixed full choke I would not recommend that you shoot slugs out of it so that would nullify its usefullness for deer and bear.

You would need different shotshells for the various types of game , steel shot for waterfowl, slugs for deer and bear, fine shot (4, 5, 6, & 7 1/2) for small game and turkey..

You're good to go!

Slugs don't hurt a fixed full choke. I wish they did. If you could open up a full choke gun by just shooting slugs through it a full choke gun might be worth owning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page