Rem 760 Variations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Rem 760 Variations

I owned a 760 in the past and loved it, so I just picked up another yesterday. The question I have is this: My previous gun had a "stud" on the end of the forend to mount the sling from. My current gun does not have this and a clamp is mounted to the barrel for the purpose of the sling. Can anybody tell me the difference between the two guns? Which one is older, more desirable, anything particular i should check over? I value and respect the knowledge of our members and would appreciate any info! Thanks in advance.

I survived The Hallton Hilton!
Sportin' at the Wharton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM

Re: Rem 760 Variations

that is the 2 options for mounting a sling on the pump guns...either the barrel band or the forend kit...

uncle mikes makes the forend kits..i use them on all my pumps..some say it is bad for the gun...but i rarely carry my rifle on a sling and i have never had an issue...the barrel band...i dont like anything touching my barrel...it effects accuracy and marks the bluing..

has nothing to do with age of the gun or anything...

if you posted a pic of the gun and the barrel code we could tell you more about your gun though...

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional..._date_code.htm

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/ques...ACKPOWDERX.htm

some sites you might find useful to date your remingtons...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

the pre-68-ish 760's had a fixed mag tube that extends beyond the end of the slide handle that had a cap on it that you could replace with an uncle mikes eye-bolt. the carbines and post-68 guns have the telescoping style of mag tube/slide. you can get sling swivel mounts for both. the post-68 style is actually a freefloated barrel while the pre-68's have a mounting bracket on the end of the mag tube that contacts, but does not attach to the barrel.

most 760's are good quality and very accurate. as with any gun though you will get a dud now and then. i have a bunch of them, in both rifle and carbine and all function and shoot excellently, as do my 7600's. the only downside is the trigger on most of them could use some work. i have a 7600 35 whelen carbine that i put a match grade trigger in that is sub-MOA with factory ammo. if you have any specific questions about your gun, shoot me a pm and i will try to help. i've been a remington man since i was a carbine.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

My thoughts exactly on the barrel clamp. I don't want something clamped to my barrel. Seems like common sense to NOT do that. Plus I think it looks like a P.O.S.! The barrel markings are REP with lets call it a circle around it even though it's more of a rectangle with round corners. Next in line of markings is a heart (what the he**?) and then what appears to be a Christmas tree on it's side. Does any of this make sense to you? Something else I noticed is the "dustshield" on the bolt. When the action is closed a plastic piece covers the bolt and seems cheap to me. Can this be replaced with a better part?

Sportin' at the Wharton!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I looked again and according to the link Mauser06 provided (thanks) the manufacture date was Sept '79. The stamping is DV 99. I think I read the chart correctly.

Sportin' at the Wharton!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Sage

I have a barrel clamp for my sling, its fine.....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yep, dv = 9/79. should be a good gun.

the dustshield on all the newer ones is plastic. it shouldn't give you a problem. just keep the inside of the receiver clean. you can push out the two pins on the side of the receiver above the trigger group and drop the whole trigger group and clean it real good. might be surprised what you find. one of mine had an entire cleaning patch jammed up in there. made it a bit tough to pump. but now its smooth as glass.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I'm going to do that, Pumpgun. Thanks a bunch! If I have any other questions I hope you won't mind me pickin' your brain.

Sportin' at the Wharton!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

pick away. i have a lot of reference material on the remington pumps going back 100 years to the originals. if you haven't handled the 14's and 141's you should check them out too. especially the carbines. if there's a sweeter woods gun than a model 14R or 141R, i don't know about it.

i know a good gunsmith right around the corner from you too who is real good with remington pumps if you have a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page