new gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

new gun

so im getting a new gun for christmas and im not sure what i want yet. im getting the gun so as i dont have to take my expensive browning out into the rain and snow, so i kinda want a foul weather gun. im thinking a ruger 77 sporter that has the gray laminate stock and the stainless barrell in .280 not sure yet though. anybody have any experience with this gun. im open for suggestions for gun and caliber, only thing is i dont want a black stock i just dont like the look or feel of them thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: new gun

savage in a 270

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Laminates are a lot heavier than plastics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

comblockshooter one of the savages that has a stainless barrel was one i really like but it has a walnut stock and i dont know if the rain or snow would hurt it or i would be all over it.
wv, yeah i know but i like the look of the laminates but i just cant stand the plastic stocks for some reason, i see why they are so popular but i just cant bring myself to buy one
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

take proper care of a wood stock and you'll have no problems with it. out in the rain isn't as bad as storing it in high humidity IMO

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Rain or snow will not hurt a firearm of any kind.Neglect after use will.You could dunk a firearm in a lake and with proper care no harm will occur.If you mean you don't want to do that you need a plastic stocked stainless gun.Even then you may have problems.All firearms require adequate care to perform properly and last several life times.I have a Remington 700 that has been soaked with rain many times.Wood stock,still like brand new,wood and metal.I have this stuff called gun oil though.You may be able to buy some too,I don't know about where you live but they sell it around here.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can't go wrong with a 77 synthetic. I bought my first one many years ago to "abuse" on western trips, and I ended up lugging it all over the country and leaving the pretty guns at home. You are on the money with a .280, sounds like a good decision.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 PM

The ruger is nice, had a 300. They are heavy guns and over time you will not like the weight. Also I did not like how shiny the stainless was. Animals see that in the woods, dull or rough finish stainless IMO is better. I too hate plastic but there is no denying their practicality for bad weather. So I have one and only one for those soaker days. Otherwise I have no problem taking my wood guns out in mild rain and snow. Wood stocks worked for years and I'm not worrying about how much it'll be worth after I'm gone or decide to sell. Fri was one of those days and a sako A7 in 06 got to go. For a nice looking gun and light weight I'd get a REM 700 LSS (laminated stainless) mountain rifle, they come in 280 and I think they're still made even though I haven't seen one in a while. Some model 7s were also made in laminated stocks, check gun broker and so forth I'm sure you could dig up one of these.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 PM

P.S. I think there was a new A7 for sale in the classifieds if you're reconsidering plastic. Also I'm lusting after a browning lever BLR in stainless laminate in 358 Win. If you would like to try a lever they come in lots of powerful calibers.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would not buy a ruger 77 anything. Over the yrs i've had few, none shot good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page