300 WSM - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

300 WSM

Well late last winter I went out and bought a Tikka 300 WSM after reading some reviews on here and some other sites. My buddy over the summer worked me up some 168 grain loads tipped with a Barnes TSX. I got a buck Tuesday and a doe Saturday and couldn't be more pleased with the performance. Both animals did not move an inch after the shot, and the gun is very easy to handle and shoot. I just found my new favorite that will be my go to gun from the gun rack.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 300 WSM

where was the animals hit? was there any bone hit? how much meat was garbage?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Both were shoulder hits with basically not much loss of meat at all. The buck was shot at 50 or so yds., and the doe was shot out of one of my archery stands at 30 yds. I just liked the way the gun handles and shoots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

i dont like a gun that ruins meat...i know a couple guys thats hunting with the 300 wsm and they really like that gun for deer.but they both waste a bunch of meat with thier loads with that gun this is why i ask..i used the one friends gun 1 day last year and rib shot 2 doe's and didnt ruin any meat and the deer run about the 40-50 yard mark and fell over...so i will stick with my 7mm08 because it does just as good of a job with alot less powder....lol
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Part of the Community

Send a message via Yahoo to lv2hunt

In my opinion, Tikka, is the best gun a person can buy. I've had the .300 WSM, I have a 22-250 with the bull barrell, and my buddy has the 6.5 X 55 Swede in it. They are all hole punching great guns. Great to handle and shoulder as well.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM

I handled my first Tikka last night...Very nice weapon...

The only thing, I didn't like was the price tag
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkercoonhunter
i dont like a gun that ruins meat...i know a couple guys thats hunting with the 300 wsm and they really like that gun for deer.but they both waste a bunch of meat with thier loads with that gun this is why i ask..i used the one friends gun 1 day last year and rib shot 2 doe's and didnt ruin any meat and the deer run about the 40-50 yard mark and fell over...so i will stick with my 7mm08 because it does just as good of a job with alot less powder....lol
Teach your buddies to shoot deer. Obviously you know how to, evidenced by your rib shots.

Shoulder shoot a deer with a .243 and a 100 grainer and you will ruin meat. Rib shoot a deer with my .375 Weatherby and a 250 grainer at 3060 fps and you can eat right up to the hole.

Oddly.......the Tikka is one gun I've handled but never had a chance to shoot. The guys I know that have them LOVE them. The .300 Wizzum pretty much speaks for itself.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

300 WSM IMO is the best all aroung gun out there. .243 is still my favorite though! Shoot the right bullet out of your 300 and you won't ruin a bunch of meat. shooting ballistic tips and the like you can't expect not to.

!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:15 AM

I own a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 270 WSM. It has become one of my favorite rifles. Tikka's are a good quality and accurate firearm. As far as damaging meat goes IMO you can't kill them if you don't mess something up! Glad to hear you like your Tikka and congrats on the deer.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks Tiger trout, What I really liked was how nice it was to handle at the moment of truth. All the shooting off the bench still don't fully prepare ya for how its gonna feel in the woods, and it felt great at performed flawlessly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page