Thinking about an AR - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about an AR

I've been thinking about getting some type of AR for when the world ends and zombies and such I know nothing about them.
Has anyone purchased one recently, that was on the fence for a while as to get one or not? AR 15 style or maybe a Mini 14? Good decision, bad? As always, I like value for the $$.

Alrighty then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Re: Thinking about an AR

Mini-14's arent as accurate, but fun to shoot

If you shoot right-handed plenty of options for you. If you shoot left handed, then Stag Arms is the first choice as they make several left-handed option
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Part of the Community

awesome guns! Go to AR15.com All the info you need is there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Personally, id go with some sort or AR platform...just because you can turn it into absolutely anything you want it to be..from a short barreled tactical machine to a heavy barreled highly accurate tack driver to anything in between...the sky really is the limit...well, my wallet is mine..

Also, these days, your not limited to a 223/5.56 AR...

So many options its mind boggling...which is why i never do anything to mine or build another...once i decide i see something i missed and start over lol

Id look into building one opposed to buying one as well...not hard...and can buy higher grade components and accessories for the price of an off the shelf rifle...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
The Man

If you let us know what your intended purpose is for the AR we can better help ya with suggestions.

Me I own 3 and each has it's own job, currently looking for number 4.

I have a BCM all decked out with an Aimpoint T-1, Streamlight TLR-1, etc. This is my SHTF, HD, trust my life to gun.

I have a PSA that is a bare and basic no optics, lightweight barrel. I use this as my trainer 5.56 and shoot steel out of it. It's also something light and handy for kids, females, etc. I don't mind if it gets jacked up.

Lastly, I have a S&W 15-22 which is decked out the same as my BCM carbine (cheaper knock off aimpoint) which I use as my trainer for my HD gun. Much cheaper to shoot this all day then spend $ on 5.56 and 223 the mechanics are the same.

If we could hunt with these fine weapons I'm sure I'd own more!

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

K, I do shoot lefty, but am not left handed. So truly left handed rifles are awkward for me( bolt actions) because my right hand is the one I use for everything. I would use it for HD and shooting at the range. I have many rifles and love to shoot and handload. My biggest conscern is that I would not get the use out of it because we can't hunt with them in PA. I don't want a .22. Will a RH model blast cases in my face?

Alrighty then!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

As long as it has the brass deflector *most do you won't have a problem with that. Depending on the rifle you can get them with ambi controls, ALTHOUGH it will only eject out of one side or the other.
IF you did want to go with a lefty here's an option:
http://www.stagarms.com/index.php?cPath=13_21
By the way don't waste time considering the mini, they'r a lil cheaper BUT the AR is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more versatile and easy to work on.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15. It's a fun gun to shoot. Most ARs are supposed to be good. Back in the day a mini-14 was a low-priced option but they have gone up in price and ARs have come down. I don't see much point in a mini-14 anymore.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 AM
The Man

Agree with Ghogs, with a decent AR and brass deflector you shouldn't have an issue shooting left and operating the controls, look for ambi if that helps. Go pick one up and manipulate it to be sure. What's your price point? You did mention a 22, you can go with a dedicated on like my S&W 15-22 or you can just get a swappable bolt carrier group and magazines for your standard 5.56 AR.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page