Suppressors - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Suppressors

I am thinking about getting a couple of suppressors in 20, 30 and 40 caliber. Does anyone have suggestions on quality, cost and possible problems to watch for? I have one gun that is already threaded but the other barrels would need machining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Re: Suppressors

You guys are no help.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 AM
The Man

What do you want to know? I have one for a 22 caliber, took 9 months for paper work to be legal. I purchased it from a dealer ij Frederick Md. and was very disappinted. It first shot terrible couldnt even get the gun zeroed in. I took it apart and the idiot who made it didnt have the same size washers in it causing the bullet to deflect. I corrected it and shoots fine. However there not like tv shows you still have noise, anything over 1200 fps you will hear something. The best thing i sound subsonic 22 shorts very quiet. Anything else it takes the crack away but can still hear it. I got mine for plinking around the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe62
You guys are no help.
I have been hunting and shooting for 30+ years. In all of that time I have never seen anyone using a suppressor at the range or while hunting. Of all of the friends that I have that shoot only one of them has ever had a suppressor. What this tells me is that they are not very popular and more of a specialized thing. So if I was interested in learning about them I wouldnt look for that info on a site like this. I would Google "Suppressors". Try it, there is alot of information online available to you.

Good luck, Tony
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:18 PM

I was thinking about picking one up for my 223. I have a friend who swears by Surefire. He loves his for predator hunting.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Part of the Community

I use an SWR Omega30 on my .308 for deer hunting. What is said is correct that it is not movie silent but I can shoot without hearing protection and that is what I have it for.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Check here for more info on suppressors.... Snipers Hide Suppressors

That is a very specialized piece of equipment that requires quite a bit of paperwork.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 PM

I have had one for a little over a year and I'm currently on my 2nd now and love it. You can shot all day long without ear protection and the kids love it too. The paperwork "form 4" for a suppressor is no longer than buying a regular gun at a gun shop and most class 3 dealers will print out 75% of it. The wait is the longest part and usually runs about 8 months but it isn't any different than taking something to a taxidermist, " you just drop it off and forget about it" till they call you to come get it. If you want to use the suppressor on different calibers, just get a .308 "7.62" and you can use it on different guns as long as it is .308 or smaller and the same thread or adapter. If useing it on a 22lr or any rimfire, it should be able to be taken apart for cleaning purposes as rimfires get really dirty. As for wich ones are better than others, they really are all the same and reduce the amount of report about 30-33 DBLs. But i really like the AAC Cyclone and Thunderbeast 30 cal cans. There is alot of info on Snipers hide and silencer talk.com with all the info that you need but do yourself a favor and take advise from someone who ownes one or who is knowledgable in the area of class 3 items. There is too much wrong info out there about NFA weapons and ownership. It really is simple to get NFA items and worth the time and money. JMHO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page