.17 HMR Rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

.17 HMR Rifles

I am interested in information on this rifle. What is the best bolt action available and tell me about the 100 yard accuracy of this gun. What brand shells holds the best pattern per what actual model of .17? Thanks for your help> I am interested in getting one for my son for Christmas. Again Thanks!

The attitude, that we show, will determine our success and failure in the situation we face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: .17 HMR Rifles

Truth be told, it's actually pretty hard to find a rifle chambered in .17 HMR that IS NOT accurate! Some like the heavier (20gr) bullets and some like the lighter (17gr) bullets, but I haven't met one yet from Saveage, Ruger, Marlin, CZ etc., that wasn't a virtual tack driver to 100 yards in one model or another. My nephew has the full camo "varmint" Savage Model 93R17 and he is an unholy terror in the squirrel woods! I have watched him make 100+ yard HEAD SHOTS on greys and foxes and I carry it from time to time when I'm hunting close cover for fox and yotes and don't want to deal with the boom of a shotgun.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 PM
The Man

I really like the CZ. My Dad had one and it shot great and was a quality piece.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What is he going to hunt with it? If you are thinking coyote, the common belief is that they are too light....fox, ground hog, target and squirrel...great gun....

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely
What is he going to hunt with it? .If you are thinking coyote, the common belief is that they are too light...fox, ground hog, target and squirrel...great gun....
I would have agreed with you on that 9 out of 10 times when it first came out and ther was really only one bullet availbale for it...until I saw first hand what that little bugger will do inside of 75 yards or so. Put one of those little "pills" in the ear hole or into the neck of a coyote...ANY coyote and it's light's out with virtually zero pelt damage.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your information. He is going to hunt squirrels and take it along a small trapping line. I've been looking at the Savage rifle in camo. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. His Christmas gift will be well taken. Thanks!

The attitude, that we show, will determine our success and failure in the situation we face.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Banned

Get him the BSA sweet .17 scope, I have it on my heavy barrel marlin and out to .300 with no wind that scope is dead nuts.....emphasis on NO wind! You get a little bit of wind, good luck over 100 cause that little .17gr bullet floats like a leaf!

I shoot hornady 17gr. bullets and in my experience for MY gun, as well as my buddy and future father in law, it is by far the best bullet in terms of accuracy and terminal performance.

For squirels its overkill by far, shoot them in the head and your going to find a headless squirel...shoot them in the body and your finding 2 pieces of squirel quite often....regardless where you hit them you can count on over 50% of whats left to be blood shot! You would be surprised what that little .17gr hornady grenade will do inside of a fox, groundhog, turkey, or other smaller sized game....I have yet to put one behind the shoulder on a yote, wouldnt hesitate to put on there at 75yds and in, but I know at 100 if you put one in the neck/head that flea bag is going down right there! People who doubt the .17 have likely never shot an animal with one, I was skeptical until I shot my first squirel then recovered it headless....if its strong enough to blow a squirels head off at 100yds and in, for me its got enough to drop a yote with a well placed heart shot within that same distance!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

CCI 20 gr. FMJ's for squirrel...avoid the BT's, HP's and TNT's

ETA: Be sure of your backstop if using the FMJ's for squirrel. I wouldn't take the shot if it's sitting on a branch eating! Spread out on the side of a trunk...DRT!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page