PA Trombone in 30.06 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
DVD
Frequent Contributor

PA Trombone in 30.06

...also known at a Remington Gamemaster 760, and many other names. Anyway, I hear the forend mounted sling is bad for my rifle. I purchased on of these barrel band setups:
http://www.shopunclemikes.com/detail/TCL+1441-2

What's the best way to close the band on the barrel without marring the blueing with marks and scratches? Also, what should I do with the old hardware that the front swivel is now mounted on? Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 PM

Re: PA Trombone in 30.06

Ive never had an issue with forend mounted slings...all 3 of mine have em...but i read about it on here once a year or so....i rarely sling my rifle though...if i do, i am walking in the dark or dragging a critter...

Good luck not scratching bluing with a barrel band...i personally dont want anything contacting my barrel...thats just me...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
Ive never had an issue with forend mounted slings...all 3 of mine have em...but i read about it on here once a year or so....i rarely sling my rifle though...if i do, i am walking in the dark or dragging a critter...

Good luck not scratching bluing with a barrel band...i personally dont want anything contacting my barrel...thats just me...
This. How could a barrel mounted sling possibly be better for accuracy, rather than the fore end cap swivle, in an already medichorely (is that a word?) accurate rifle? Anything...ANYTHING mounted to a baarel is going to affect accuracy and if you wrap your sling to shoot off hand like so many guys do with their rifles, you'll be putting downward pressure on the barrel and tha simply is no good for an accurate shot.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM

Have had a sling mounted on the fore end of my 760 since 1972 with no problems.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM
The Man

No, medichorely is not a word....at least not in the English language....

And a lot of people would not agree that 760s are capable of only mediocre accuracy....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Part of the Community

My 760 Gamemaster in .270 shoots minuteofangleorely at 100 yds. 150 Grain hornday handloads.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

So most don't consider 2" group consistancy mediocher?! The BEST I ever got with mine (had one in .300 Sav I inherited and one in 06' I bought for reasons to be explained later) was around 1 1/4" groups and I tried everything...tried about every factory load, handloaded, lapped the bbls, trigger jobs, etc.. The bad part was that the 1 1/4" groups were a BIG IMPROVEMENT too. I then sold firearms for almost 10 years and sold a TON of them. I remember an abnormally high number of customers comming back and trying dif. ammo, optics, etc. trying to get better accuracy. The VAST majority of customers that bought them (and I admit in the beginning when I bought my 06', I was of this thinking), that they had to have...verilly NEEDED to have those fast follow-up shots rather than make the first one count...

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A few years ago i had an issue with my 760 jamming up when i worked the pump to eject a spent shell. At on point the action and firing pin became disassembled,also when working the pump. I took it to a gunsmith who contacted Remington and this is what he found. My problem ended up being that from the sling being attached to the front of the forened, it had slightly bent part of a spring in under the forend. The spring would allow to much play when I would try to eject a spent cartridged, and I had to work like heck to get the casing out. The gunsmith put a barrel band on mine and I just left the hardware on it. I thought the same thing regarding accuracy, but have not seen any drop in accuracy since going to the barrel band. As far as the 760 being mediocre for accuracy, it might not be sniper quality, but i would bet many game animals in Pa would agree that it is better than mediocre when it comes to accuracy.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Part of the Community

I couldn't stand the thought of anything clamped to any of my barrels. My sling is on the end of the slide. My gun was always shooting 1.5 to 2 inch groups until one day I tried a different poweder and gun turned into a real tack driver.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't know. I guess I have just only ever met ONE I would consider accuret and like I said...sold a boat load of "PA's Pump Rifle"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page