Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight .300 WBY Magnum - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight .300 WBY Magnum

I recently purchased one of these. I mounted a 2-12x42 Leupold VX-6 with one piece Talley bases and rings. I have been shooting all my life so I understand berrel cooling and all that. I just don't understand I can take it to the range first three shots under and inch. Then I can't get it to shoot even waiting 30 minutes between shots. This has happened several time. Is it just the barrel being to hot or what?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight .300 WBY Magnum

Possibly copper fouled, from the first 3 shots. I previously owened a Savage that would do the same thing. Until the lands filled up with copper, then it would spray like a shotgun. Improper cleaning? That is what we finally determined, as each subsequent shot, filled the lands, and grooves, until it would no longer stabilize the bullet. Try cleaning it with a small amount of JB Bore paste, and then a copper remover. May or may not eliminate the problem, but at least u will remove another variable.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree its copper fouled. The best gunsmith I ever knew (now deceased ) solved this problem for me a few times. He had a US MIL. surplus bore cleaner for artillery, I don't know what it was called. He would plug the barrel with a cork plug, fill the bore from the breech end with this bore solvent, and stand it in the corner for a week. I was in the shop once when he popped the cork on one, and the mess came out green ( copper). After a thorough conventional cleaning, it shot like new. This fouling comes from the previous owner shooting the gun year after year without cleaning it. Its an easy fix, and I suspaect any good bore solvent would work well.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

It could be several things, Copper from 3 shots I don't think is one of them unless you have a real bad barrel. Once the barrel heats up it may be touching the stock which will throw it all over the place. A 300WBY "Ultra Lightweight" It's gotta kick like a mule after 3 shots your brain starts telling the rest of your body this is gonna hurt when I squeeze the trigger, You have to consider flinch factor. Whether you've been shooting all your life or not, big hammers will find any flaw any shooter has whether he thinks he has one or not. Put a break on it, you might be amazed how much accuracy improves.

I had a 375 H&H Magnum without a Break, it was fun to watch guys shoot it that claimed big, hard recoiling calibers didn't bother them. Funny enough most guys took 3 shots to prove a point, rarely did anyone want to take the 4th shot.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned

I don't believe it's copper fouled after three shots. Those pencil barrels are mighty finicky. I have a pencil barrel on an '06 and I can't get a good three shot group out of it. The first two are always touching and the third one drifts off. Now if I fire a three shot group out of it with a cold barrel for each shot it shoots excellent. I'd try that if I was you. But you have to make sure the barrel is cold for each shot. It could take an hour to fire a 3 shot group.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I forgot to mention that your particular model is well known for being a fussy bugger! The Wby ultralite was made for one purpose, to deliver the first shot on long range game accurately, without packing a heavy rifle. If you are looking for prolonged range sessions with awesome groups, you bought the wrong rifle. I know several guys who bought them and resold them because they want paper puncher braggin rights, and this is not the gun for that. They were made to be carried 30 miles and shot once, then carried 30 miles back, thats it. You can get it to shoot perfect target, but you would spend as much as it costs again. I like them, but I understand their purpose.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM
The Man

I'd lean toward the culprit being the barrel is fouling badly, too. I would go with the J-B recommendation after each 3 shot group, following up the J-B with a few Break Free-soaked patches then dry patching it to remove the Break Free....be sure to throughly clean/dry the chamber after each cleaning....

I'm betting the barrel will settle down after many cleanings....How many who knows? Fire lapping would speed up the smoothing process....Google it....

Good luck....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM

IMO it's the barrel vibration. Skinny barrels do so with repeated fireing. A flyer in a group has been the topic of many and all kinds of answeres have been in print.Huntin rifles are known to shoot larger groups by nature. A 22" thin huntin barrel is not a target rifle no matter what brand.Many a huntin rifle stays on target with first shot, then alittle off or larger group. For a huntin rifle that;s ok. Much goes into makein a tight group rifle and barrel is #1. Fouling IMO is not your problem. This subject has imo run it's course. Gun cleanin has come to be a real money makein deal. Many products on market to lore the novice. A brass brush and Hoppe's and 20 pushes in and 20 out will take care of any barrel. Cleanin products are like fishin lures to catch the pocket book. If a new rifle factory is not lapped then 500 rounds will take care of thay and rifle will start to shoot much better. This is all IMO,some guys might disagree, but as many say don't fix something that isn't broke.....later
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I bought it as a pack rifle for out west. It is not a bench rifle and I understand that. I bought it brand new and it has less than 100 rounds through it. Thank you guys for the opinions i'm going to keep this in mind I appreciate it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Banned

like joe said it is definitely not barrel fouling. it is a weatherby and extremly accurate the first 3 rounds. let it cool longer and you will get good groups. you barrel is not copper fouled after that many shots. i have 4 of these guns and mine dont start shooting good until they are fouled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page