300 WSM....Give me your take on it please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

300 WSM....Give me your take on it please

I would like to know what everyone thinks about the 300 WSM (winchester short mag)....Also, if you do perhaps like the cartridge, what rifle do you believe it behaves the best in? (barrel length, action, stocks, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 300 WSM....Give me your take on it please

Need to know a bit more about intended use...
BUT I'll say I HAD one and I also reload. I got it because I figured it would be a fun caliber. It has its uses, however it depends on what your options are if you have any and what you intend to do with it.
The reason I got rid of it was because:
1. Savage 1something wasn't that accurate
2. Performance was only slightly better than what I could
load a 30 06 too.
3. Performance couldn't get as good as a 300WM or my 300RUM
4. I didn't need another caliber to keep track of brass for
I'm personally a Remington guy BUT I also think Tikka has a good rifle an although I've never owned one the TC Icon is supposed to be good as well. **Note: the Tikka and TC don't have nearly the amount of after market options that a 700 would**
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:46 AM
The Man

I have a friend that has this very same cal in a Winchester and loves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:10 AM
The Man

Always thought the .300 WSM was the answer to a question nobody ever asked.

Yeah............. in theory...... shorter action, lighter weight, less action length for flex, better accuracy, yada, yada, yada.

In a nutshell, you'll pay double the money for factory loads over the old standby .300 Win Mag for less performance and negligibly less weight. If you handload, you can quite easily surpass .300 WSM numbers in a .300 Win Mag.

There are 3 .300 Magnums that permanently reside in my stable........... none of which are WSM's.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

I had a Ruger stainless /with synthetic stock in 300 WSM that would absolutely knock your fillings loose with every shot. I am a big fan of Rugers, have many in the stable, but this gun was the devil. It wouldn't feed properly either. Never shot any game with it. Accuracy was OK. Got rid of it after one long afternoon with both my buddy and I (both of us are big and not recoil sensitive) sent many rounds through it. Worst experience I ever had with a rifle. Just sayin.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 AM

Lots of power to say the least...a hundred or so fps slower than the 300WM, I don't think the deer or bear will hardly notice. Advantage, if you can call it that..they usually are built on short actions that save weight but the trade-off is recoil, it's tolerable but it hain't no picnic..if you are recoil sensitive don't bother yourself with this kind of power.. Most I've seen are very accurate and some where downright awesome, there easy to handload for and have good case life and you can tone it down to make it easier to handle.. It's not a caliber to shoot all day off the bench, it's a hunting round with a few shots per year at game. I have a model 7 synthetic stainless in 300 SAUM, really lightweight but it'll knock your socks off but it's a great little rifle to carry all day long up and down hills but it really kicks. So, if you can handle it fine but they like any magnum are special hunting rounds that do have their purpose.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

The 300WSM is simply awesome; I have 2 and am currently building another one. It doesn't matter if you’re shooting targets or game, it is one of the most accurate 30cal rounds out there, it handles long, heavy bullets rather nicely, it's a very efficient case, it's belt less. Did I mention ACCURACY; it has won many, many, many matches at Williamsport. Currently it holds the Heavy Gun World Record 10 shot group at a 1000 yards, 2.185 inches. To all the neigh sayers, you first got to own one before saying it isn't a good caliber. I've brought my fare share of prize money home with a 300WSM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM

I love mine, but have a brake on on it. Then when hunting I switch to the thread saver. I have 700 300wsm remington and shoot 165 grain silvertech. It puts deer down where they stand. I use this one on state gamelands were short track jobs cause less issues.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM

I love mine and reload for it and shoots very well, I use it for deer, winchester model 70

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 PM

I currently have a Remy 700 with 300 WSM with 24" barrel. I love to carry that rifle when weight is a factor, and the short action is very nice for hunting thick brush.

It really depends on what you want. I am shooting a 180 Accubond at 3050 FPS and it will do anything the 300 Win will do. Price of reloading is the same for either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page