Remington 721- just got one - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mechanicsburg-back where I belong
Posts: 1,108
Back To Top
Remington 721- just got one

Picked one of these up last night in 270 winchester. Was kind of an interesting journey getting it. It started a while back when I picked up a sporterized 303 british for $65 from a woman whose husband went insane. Had it for a while, never shot it, and figured I was probably never going to hunt with it. So a couple months ago I swapped it even up for a Beretta silver pigeon 12 gauge pump shotgun. I had it for sale on here, and another site. I traded it even up last night for this rifle.Its in pretty decent shape, has some very minor pitting on the floorplate and a couple very small handling marks. It has very nice wood that is not checkered.Has the original metal buttplate and front and rear sights. It is drilled and tapped.
Now here,s my question. Do I keep it and use it as is,do I keep trying to trade up to something else, or do I keep it and build a 35 whelen or a 9.3x62 out of it? Just trying to get opinions and thoughts and make some good conversation. Thanks for the input. Don

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
bearschlayerx2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Regular Member
 
4cslabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bloomsburg, PA
Posts: 2,126
Back To Top
Re: Remington 721- just got one

Always trade for something better than what you have. Unless of coarse you have enough liquid cash to just keep everything you buy. I have a real nice 721 in 30-06, it's for sale. That being said - if you need an action to do a build - then use it. Guns are like cars, don't get sentamental

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
4cslabs is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mechanicsburg-back where I belong
Posts: 1,108
Back To Top
Re: Remington 721- just got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cslabs
Always trade for something better than what you have. Unless of coarse you have enough liquid cash to just keep everything you buy. I have a real nice 721 in 30-06, it's for sale. That being said - if you need an action to do a build - then use it. Guns are like cars, don't get sentamental
Hey buddy, how ya doin? The tradin up for something better was kinda my plan with the 303 british. I just wasn't real thrilled with the shotgun, and figured I would keep trading till I got something I would actually use. Being a 270, I might use it, but then again I might not. I really want a 35 whelen or a 9.3x62. I was told this would be a good action to start with. Appreciate the input bud.

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
bearschlayerx2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Part of the Community
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South Florida since 2017
Posts: 235
Back To Top
Re: Remington 721- just got one

I had a similar rifle, the Remington 722 in 300 Savage. Great shooter and well made. I sold it to my nephew who has taken 7 deer with this rifle.

Four years ago, I had a custom 9.3mm X 62 built from a Browning rifle. But recoil was too brutal for me so I've gone back to my .308 carbine. The Browning was sold at a slight profit. I suggest shoot a 35 Whelen with 250 grain bullet to gauge the recoil. Perhaps your tolerance for recoil is tougher than mine.

Good hunting to you.
TR

Fire Up the Grill! Hunting is not Catch and Release!
T.R. is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hearts in New England
Posts: 13,401
Back To Top
Re: Remington 721- just got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschlayerx2
Picked one of these up last night in 270 winchester. Was kind of an interesting journey getting it. It started a while back when I picked up a sporterized 303 british for $65 from a woman whose husband went insane. Had it for a while, never shot it, and figured I was probably never going to hunt with it. So a couple months ago I swapped it even up for a Beretta silver pigeon 12 gauge pump shotgun. I had it for sale on here, and another site. I traded it even up last night for this rifle.Its in pretty decent shape, has some very minor pitting on the floorplate and a couple very small handling marks. It has very nice wood that is not checkered.Has the original metal buttplate and front and rear sights. It is drilled and tapped.
Now here,s my question. Do I keep it and use it as is,do I keep trying to trade up to something else, or do I keep it and build a 35 whelen or a 9.3x62 out of it? Just trying to get opinions and thoughts and make some good conversation. Thanks for the input. Don

Being that it's a .270 I wouldn't change anything but then you did go and say the magic words; 9.3X62............ I say do it!
*Moose is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mechanicsburg-back where I belong
Posts: 1,108
Back To Top
Re: Remington 721- just got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschlayerx2
Picked one of these up last night in 270 winchester. Was kind of an interesting journey getting it. It started a while back when I picked up a sporterized 303 british for $65 from a woman whose husband went insane. Had it for a while, never shot it, and figured I was probably never going to hunt with it. So a couple months ago I swapped it even up for a Beretta silver pigeon 12 gauge pump shotgun. I had it for sale on here, and another site. I traded it even up last night for this rifle.Its in pretty decent shape, has some very minor pitting on the floorplate and a couple very small handling marks. It has very nice wood that is not checkered.Has the original metal buttplate and front and rear sights. It is drilled and tapped.
Now here,s my question. Do I keep it and use it as is,do I keep trying to trade up to something else, or do I keep it and build a 35 whelen or a 9.3x62 out of it? Just trying to get opinions and thoughts and make some good conversation. Thanks for the input. Don

Being that it's a .270 I wouldn't change anything but then you did go and say the magic words; 9.3X62............ I say do it!
Thats really what I'm leaning towards doing with it. Not saying anything against a 270, I just don't know how much I would actually use it as I have a 30-06 that I have all the faith in the world in. I just want something "different". And I am not recoil shy but I will say if I make this a 35 whelen or a 9.3x62, that steel buttplate will be getting replaced with a recoil pad.Hardest kicking gun I ever shot was a sporterized rifle(enfield p-14 i think) in 358 norma magnum and it had a steel buttplate on it. One shot and that was enough for me.My uncles 378 weatherby was tame compared to that thing!
keep the conversation goin and the thoughts and ideqas comin! Thanks, Don

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
bearschlayerx2 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 02:35 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indiana, Co. Pa
Posts: 1,401
Back To Top
Re: Remington 721- just got one

the 721 is a great rifle to have. its the forerunner to the model 700. i have a 721 in 300 H&H magnum and wouldnt trade it for the world.
Pa. Slim is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hearts in New England
Posts: 13,401
Back To Top
Re: Remington 721- just got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Slim
the 721 is a great rifle to have. its the forerunner to the model 700. i have a 721 in 300 H&H magnum and wouldnt trade it for the world.

That would be the 721 I'd want as well.
*Moose is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh,PA.
Posts: 12,604
Back To Top
Re: Remington 721- just got one

I just found a nice 721 in 30/06 but was missing the open sights and had the dovetails filled with wedges. Is $299 a a good price for one of these? How hard is it too find the original sights for these? Thanks.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
octagon is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hearts in New England
Posts: 13,401
Back To Top
Re: Remington 721- just got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon
I just found a nice 721 in 30/06 but was missing the open sights and had the dovetails filled with wedges. Is $299 a a good price for one of these? How hard is it too find the original sights for these? Thanks.

The price is close to top dollar. I sold a nice 721 in .30-06 here on HPA two years ago. Nobody would give me $350 for it and I ended up trading it for a gun that was valued at $325.
*Moose is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome