Do you use a bore guide? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Do you use a bore guide?

Recently had a bunch of people tell me they don't use a bore guide while cleaning their rifles and they have never had accuracy issues from any possible damage. My feeling is you can be super careful and not hurt your gun by using quality products but why take the chance. Please vote and give an explanation if you'd like.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 AM

Re: Do you use a bore guide?

At one time, I did not. But in thinking about this, I came to the conclusion that all the advice was to use one, and for $15, why take a chance on damaging the muzzle or bore? I always use a bore guide now, every time.

benchrest
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 AM
The Man

It's cheap insurance to ensure that you don't damage the gun in any way. I certainly use it all the time.

Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm not trying to cause a fight but I feel that you almost have to be dumb to pay for a nice gun and not spend a few bucks more to guarantee you don't ruin it while cleaning.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The question is, why not?

A ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure, especially where the cost of a new barrel or a setback/rechamber job are concerned. The throat(lead) takes enough abuse from firing, why add to it using a unguided rod? It makes no sense.

Not only do they help prevent chamber damage they also keep the solvent where it belongs. When a patch enters the bore it tends to squeegee the bore cleaner out especially if one is of the mindset, "If a lot is good, too much is just right" and completely soaks a patch.

That excess bore cleaner has to go somewhere, usually into the chamber, lug abutments and etc. A reasonably well fitted guide helps keep the solvent where you want it and out of the places you don't. Any small amount of excess solvent, dirt and etc then can be removed with a chamber and abutment cleaning tools.

Bill

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Banned

No. I remove the bolt and clean from the action front.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

wow....not the way I thought voting would be going. must be a lot of folks out there with a steady hand.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

I use them in every rifle I have!!!

A snake don't taste like chicken it tastes like snake!!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill
The question is, why not?

A ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure, especially where the cost of a new barrel or a setback/rechamber job are concerned. The throat(lead) takes enough abuse from firing, why add to it using a unguided rod? It makes no sense.

Not only do they help prevent chamber damage they also keep the solvent where it belongs. When a patch enters the bore it tends to squeegee the bore cleaner out especially if one is of the mindset, "If a lot is good, too much is just right" and completely soaks a patch.

That excess bore cleaner has to go somewhere, usually into the chamber, lug abutments and etc. A reasonably well fitted guide helps keep the solvent where you want it and out of the places you don't. Any small amount of excess solvent, dirt and etc then can be removed with a chamber and abutment cleaning tools.

Bill
a lot of my rifles were hand me downs but I have several guns that shoot well that would easily be over $1000 in value. you ruin the bore and they are all but worthless without having a new barrel put on. I just don't get it. even if I thought I could do it perfect I would still use one. why on earth would you take that chance?

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Moose
No. I remove the bolt and clean from the action front.
+1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page