Ruger LCP - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Ruger LCP

Anyone own a LCP and if so, what kind of accuracy can you get with it and how do you like it?

I wanted a .380 pocket pistol and recently purchased one because it felt better in my hand than the other brands and I like the quality of other Ruger firearms I own. I have run a hundred rounds through it but am not at all impressed with accuracy. I would have little confidence in hitting a target much beyond 5 yards a this point and an 6-8" groups at 5 yards is the best I can do so far. Also seems like barrel doesn't go back to same POI after cleaning and reassembly, shot a foot high at 5 yards first session and a foot left the second. I seem to do better just pointing than trying to use the small, fixed open sights. Trigger pull is long and hard but don't think I'm pulling it off target. Recoil is surprisingly mild to me and not one malfunction so far.

I am not a new shooter and often shoot .45 auto. Is this all I can expect from a LCP or is something wrong? I realize it is designed for close range shooting but just think it should be good out to ten yards or so. I would have no confidence in carrying it at this point and will stick with my 3" Ruger SP101 despite the added weight and bulk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM
The Man

Re: Ruger LCP

I have the same gun and feel it is also not very accurate but for a pocket pistol and how it fits and what I want it for is sufficient IMO.

2F for a while...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have the LCP. I am actually impressed by how accurate it is given the gun's size. Have you rested it against something as you have fired it?

I agree that the trigger is long and heavy, and the sights are laughable. That said, I am extremely comfortable with its accuracy. I don't think I am going to impress anyone at 25 yards, but I am confident that I can hit a person at 10 yards. IMO, getting to know the trigger pull is the key to this gun's accuracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM

The LCP is a pocket protection pistol, no sights, 6-7 rounds and no real grip.

Your not going to impress anyone past 10 yards, and its arms length away personal protection piece imo.

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have 1 and thought the accuracy is decent out to 10 yards. that is taking my time and really taking a slow steady squeaze. but in off hand quick shooting, like in a real life situation, the max dist would be 10 - 15 ft at longest and arm length more likely, i will hit a body size target every time. that is what that gun is designed for. if you want to spend time on the range, hitting bulls, gett another gun. i like using a 22 for that cause i can practice shooting real cheap.

that said does anyone know if the triggar can be adjusted?

RIZ
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a tcp and i could easily hit. Claybird at 5 yds with it. My brrothers lc9 shoots better then what your describing. Glad i didnt go that route

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel-Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks to all for your replies and I will try some of your suggestions.

I haven't fired it off a rest but will to get a better feel for what the pistol is capable of doing. Will keep shooting it now and then to get used to the trigger. Agree that must be the key to shooting it. Never pulled a trigger like that on any firearm before in my life. Maybe it's designed that way for safety reasons since there is no manual safety.

Do you carry your LCP with a round in the chamber? I'm thinking you could in a pocket holster that covers the trigger as long you bear in mind that it's a loaded weapon and excercise caution and common sense. To me it would be useless to carry with an empty chamber.

I bought it for protection, not punching bullseyes and do have a .22 for that purpose. I just wanted to get familiar with it and the gunshop owner where I bought it has sold a pile of these and recommended putting a couple hundred rounds through to break it in and ensure that it is reliable. Use FMJ's first and then evaluate it with hollow points. Don't think the guy was trying to sell me shells, I know him well and trust his advice.

I'll keep working with it and hopefully the little pea shooter will earn a place in my pocket. I now have a better understanding what to expect from it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 AM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

i do carry mine with a chambered round in a pocket holster.

RIZ
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 PM
The Man

All the .380s I owned were not very accurate, not the guns fault - mostly mine - to small, crappy sights. I now carry a S&W Shield - best move I ever made.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 PM
New Arrival

YOU COuld try 2 things..Add a laser site or practice point and shoot rather than aiming with the sites. MY Wife has one and we shoot it often. IT DOEs take some getting used too. FUN LIttle gun. TOUGh round to reload but it is well worth it to have several hundred rounds around.I HAVe to qualify point and shoot and it is amazing how accurate you can get with practice. START at 5 yards and then move back as you get confident.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page