Opinions on single shot rifles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on single shot rifles

A buddy of mine has been trying to talk me into predator hunting this year. I just left Gander Mtn. and was looking at the single shot center fires from NEF and Rossi. I wanted to get opinions on here about the Rossi's. I have owned the NEF before in 22-250 and it was great, but in shouldering the ones they had(a few with scopes) they just didn't come up right. The Rossi on the other hand felt great, but I'm kind of leery as to the quality and accuracy. They had both in .223 and I'm thinking if I go that route that's the caliber I'd choose. Keep in mind, I'm not looking for some 400 yard tack-driver, but I do want something that would hold quarter to half dollar sized groups out to 150-200 yards.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 PM

Re: Opinions on single shot rifles

I have a single shot, but its a CVA Scout in 243..shoots fine and was good price

Not sure if they offer .223 though
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 PM

only single shot i like is the ruger number 1, but like cmc5028 has said the new cva looks to be a fine singal shot that i might also pick one up.but if you had to pick one of the 2 u said, i say not rossi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i have plenty of expierence with the rossi heavy barrel sporter in 223. mine is very accurate! easily sub moa at 100 yds with 55gr ammo. i have numerous 500 yard ground hog kills. this rifle seems to be very consistant and accurate however it will rust way quicker then anything else i own. fit and finish are not terrible but for the price you get awesome accurracy. i also own a NEF and the quality is way way better. but seems like accuracy is just as good
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 AM
The Man

For the price I would go with a Savage Axis in 223. I've been looking into one, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I new Harley is in the crosshairs, and I don't want to jeperdise that purchase.

I used to think I would like a single shot. Same as I thought about straight 4x scopes. They take care of 95% of what you need them for. I would be OK with that if there was a significant cost savings but there isn't.

I like the idea of a single shot with a fixed scope..better yet open sights. The reality of it is the only reason most would hunt with such a gun is if they had to legality wise.

Venison - The other fast food
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 AM

tc encore

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have Rossi in 308, thats a my staple for open range shot. Like it alot, makes you focus on your shot, you can always put a bullet sleeve on the stock. Ive been wanting a 223 and 22-250 in single barrel. I didnt think I'd like thiem at first but it grew on me.

2013-2014 1st year trapping
Coon-1
Grinner-3
Squirrel-3
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Banned

The ruger no.1 is excellent and the TC encore is good. After that they're mostly junk.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM

why not go with the savage axis theyre cheap and bolt action and holds 4 bullets in the magazine.Why go with a single shot?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Price, Price and oh yeah price. Sorry guys, but I do not like the fit and feal of the Savage rifles. Weather rimfire or centerfire, I like the accu-trigger, just not the gun. Bottom line I can't afford anything much over $300. Which flat out eliminates all guns save for these two single shots and Marlin(which I'll never own again) and Savage rimfires. Trust me if I could afford it I wouldn't be asking the question. I'd be buying a Winchester M70 or Rem. M700.

Thanks for the responses on the Rossi's. I've owned the NEF's before and not a big fan of them. Like I said though when price is an issue... The NEF's don't seem to feel good when shouldering though. Really like the feel of the Rossi, just wasn't sure of the accuracy.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page