Removing Lubalox From Barrel? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Removing Lubalox From Barrel?

I am currently working on my fathers rifle, as the accuracy fell in the toilet.

I have made some changes, floating, scope mounting, trigger etc, and am trying to get it really clean.

After about 200 patches I am lost. He has shot the Nosler CT bullets with Lubalox coating religiously, and never cleaned it. I keep pushing dirty patches out the muzzle, and dont know what else to do.

I have tried:
Shooters Choice
Butches Bore Shine
Kroil
Montana Extreme Copper Cream (Works Best So Far)
Shooters FP-10

But Still Cannot get this stuff out. <span style="font-size: 20pt">HELP</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: Removing Lubalox From Barrel?

Matt,
I would suggest BORE TECH I use this stuff religously now in cleaning all of my firearms. I recently bought a new rifle and was cleaning it with shooters choice and was pleased but I wanted something a little better so with that rifle brand new I wanted to try a new product on something that has had a fair amount of rounds through it but was still "cleaned" with my current products IE. Hoppes, shooters choice, and butches. I got a bottle of bore tech offline and used it on my modle 7 243 a rifle that i thought was clean boy was I wrong I got dark bluish green patches followed the directions on the bottle and started pushing clean patches in about 20 mins (I let it soak for 10 mins longer than required) I started pushing clean patches. I did the same thing to all my grandfathers older rifles and boy They were hunting accurate before now its like they have some life back in them and they are tac drivers. I hope this helps I know Im not the only one on this forum that uses Boretech and everyone else that has ever said they used it from what I have seen has only had good things to say about the product. I hope this helps
Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 PM

I shot those bullets from the Mauser a while...like the NBTfor deer and nickel cases...they dont tarnish etc front year to year like brass...and found them for like 18$ a box on sale so stocked up...

Accuracy was good....

Then one year i could shot buckshot tighter...checked the obvious..scope, mounts etc etc...all was right...

Somehow i gave it a great scrubbing and shot different bullets...back to shooting great...

Not sure what i used then

JB bore paste might work well thought....shooters choice foam, butches bore shine and JB is all i really use now...i like all 3 for different applications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

I got it clean. I used Montana Extreme Copper Cream and Copper Killer. It took awhile but finally got it. Just FYI to those using these coated bullets that they can eventually cause problems.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM

I didnt wanna blame the coating.....and never researched it...but sounds like it could been the problem in your rifle and mine...once i got it cleaned out it shot great....normal cleaning patches came out looking fine...couldnt tell it was actually filthy....
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I remember when moly coatings were all the rage now they are cussed by everyone I know

the thrill is not in the kill, but in the experience
Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM
MrC
Hooked on HuntingPa

A benchrest shooter buddy used moly coated bullets back in the day. But, when he loaded some .270's up for me, he removed the moly coating first. He said they used to be the rage. Now, everyone is having second thoughts. I'd say, give the barrel a real good brushing with a dry stiff bronze brush. Hopefully you will have dust coming out of the barrel. Then go to the wet cleaning solvent. I think too many people forget that dry brushing removes a lot of material. Wetting the barrel seems to lubricate the patch and it has the tendancy to skim over the top instead of "digging in" on the build up as with a dry brush. Works for me.

Happiness is a fine Mauser build.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in