Nosler Accubond - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Nosler Accubond

Have been experimenting with the Nosler Accubond bullet with my .300 win mag and have been pleasantly impressed with the groups. I just shot again yesterday and at 200 yds I had a three shot group of .89" and at 300 yds 1.1" !!! Looking for some feedback from the field on perfermance on big game. Thanks in advance.

It only takes one, the right one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM
dce
Sage

Re: Nosler Accubond

I've killed three deer with the 165 gr out of my .308.All were bang flop kills but one was a neck shot,one was a high shoulder shot that broke the deer's spine and the third was a texas heart shot on a previously wounded deer.I recovered that bullet under the skin in the front of the deer's chest,mushroomed perfectly after traveling the entire length of the deer.Last year I used the 180's out of my .300 wsm on the last day.I snuck up on a bedded doe and shot her at about 60 yards as soon as she stood up.I hit her back a little further than I wanted to but she still dropped right there.I had to shoot her again but she wasn't going anywhere.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

180 in my 300 ultra performed great on my bear. Shot a doe with a 150 from my .308 that worked really well too. No tracking on either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 AM

I killed an elk, bear and Nebraska buck with accubonds. The elk and bear were with 180s out of a 300wm and the buck was with a 160 out of a 280. None of the animals went very far. Only recovered the bullet from the elk which traveled from front of one shoulder and lodged under hide behind last rib (a pretty significant distance) and it held together well.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 AM
The Man

I monkied with 140 gr. AccuBonds in my 7-STW.

They were bughole accurate !! But the one deer I shot with them produced a failure-to-expand, nearly causing me to lose the deer. The shot was +/- 275 yards at a doe slightly quartered to me. I was shooting considerably downhill. Bullet entered a bit high behind the shoulder and exited right where you'd want it to. 7mm hole in.....7mm hole out. No blood trail and found her by several guys helping me sweep a goldenrod field 100 yards away.

Ballistics show that the bullet struck the deer at an even 3000 fps, yet did not expand. Kinda boogered me on giving the AccuBond another try.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 AM
The Man

Also........ wife's uncle had a 225 gr. AccuBond from his .338 RUM splat on an Idaho bull elk at around 150 yards.

Killed the elk. But not exactly the performance he expected from the bullet.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 AM
The Man

Never shot one. Probably never will.

There are so many choices out there that cost half as much.

Not sure what the OP will be hunting for. The biggest game most people in PA hunt is deer. 10% of them will hunt bear.

Most "semi" controled expansion bullets will result in the same result. Dead animal every time.

But if that is all that will shoot that good by all means go with it, but if say a core locke shoots the same IMO it's a waste of money.

Venison - The other fast food
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
There are so many choices out there that cost half as much.
Excellent point.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 AM

On my Newfoundland Moose hunt last year of the 7 guys in our camp, 6 got moose. 4 were taken with Accubonds. .30-06 at approx 100 yards. 3 hits, one bullet recovered. Ecellent results. 2 moose taken with .300WSM. One at about 20 yards, 2 hits, neither recovered. That moose made it about 15 yards from the first shot. (Outfitter strongly suggested "shoot till they fall"). Second WSM was about 200 yards, 1 shot, bullet recovered, BANG FLOP. Last moose was taken with a .300 UltraMag. 3 shots. First at a ranged 567 yards, next 2 were running at an agle after first. No bullets recovered. Total distance covered from first show was about 125 yards. Some dang fine shooting from my buddy too! I went up shooting Hornaday Bullets, have since switched to AccuBonds. My bullet completely seperated from a .300 WinMag, range about 70 yards. I will post pics of recovered bullets when I get home.

Don't let our differences defeat us.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks, to all who replied! I am hunting Canadian whitetail in Northern Alberta... Big Whitetails compared to PA. I have been a tried and true Sierra man for more than 20 years, but this bullet is wicked accurate for a hunting bullet in my opinion, and thru my rig. I always like to hear feedback from others experiences to reassure myy decision. I will let you all know the end result! Thanks.

It only takes one, the right one...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page