Pistol for my Daughter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pistol for my Daughter

My daughter wants to get a 380 or something similar to that. She doesn't want to spend more than $300.00 for a new pistol. She lives in North Carolina and wants to get a concealed carry permit there. The smallest pistol she can use with the permit is a 380. Anyone have recomdation for a brand that would be a good beginers pistol. She is not looking to get top of the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Pistol for my Daughter

Lcp really happy with mine
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 PM

Most folks I know that have the LCP are happy with them.

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 AM

I wouldn`t pass up a used 9x18 Makarov. That`s what I carry. The power is between a .380 and 9mm Luger and the ammo is very fair priced. Very good quality and easy to strip and clean. Gary, if she lived near you, I would let her shoot mine.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Gary have your daughter take a handgun class first.Then she should go to a gun shop and see what feels good to her.Preferably a shop that can/will let her shoot the weapon.I would go with a 9mm over a 380 because of ammo availabilty.When things get tight with ammo 9mm is the first to become available.A local gun shop was selling 380's with an offer to buy ammo for them.380 ammo is more expensive than 9mm too.I personally would prefer that your daughter be able to afford to practice defending herself.A 380 is basicallly a slow 9mm cartridge.Is she going to carry in a purse or on her body?Lots of variables here.I know female LEOS and they seem to prefer 40 cals.If she takes a class she will know her needs and limits.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

She needs a pistol to take the class with. She is going to go to ladies night (everything is half price that night) at a range near where she lives. They have pistols there that she can rent to shoot.
She is mainly getting this just so she can get the concealed carry permit. I am trying to discourage her from carrying on a day to day basis. Some of the jobs she wants to apply to require the concealed carry permit. If she gets one of those jobs then she will get a bigger and better pistol.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=304105104
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 AM

It's a low budget gun.She could also buy a High Point 9mm or 40 cal for the same price.I have a low budget 22 auto and a 380 auto.They unfortunately do not go bang everytime you pull the trigger.Some budget guns function well though or after a few 100 rounds.In my opinion in a situation where you need to defend yourself you may be better off with no gun instead of one that may not fire.My reason for that statement is when you display a weapon you have just raised the situation to a higher level.The attacker is now on the defense and most likely scared that you have a weapon.In such a scenario your weapon must fire at all costs.Again in such a situation if you pull out weapon because a weapon is drawn on you,you must fire immediately.There can't be a mexican stand off.You have a 50% chance at losing in that scenario.If you have a weapon that may not go bang it goes to 100%.Make sense?I don't know why you don't want your daughter to carry all the time that is between you,her and God.Personally I can't wait for my kids to be 21 so they can carry and defend thier self.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Regular Visitor

I would encourage her to get a light 38 revolver. Maybe a lady Smith that goes bang every time, simple and not confusing when you are rattled, won't jamb, not alot of buttons to think about and scads of different kinds of ammo. 380's have real stiff slide springs and might be hard for her to chamber a round. John
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't know why you don't want your daughter to carry all the time that is between you,her and God.Personally I can't wait for my kids to be 21 so they can carry and defend thier self

To answer that I don't want my daughter to have to live with herself after shooting someone. I already know how that feels and it is not an easy or nice thing to do.

As I said this gun is just to take a class with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page