Carbide reloading dies?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Carbide reloading dies??

Just recieved a reloading setup for my birthday. Now I need to pick up some die sets. Should I go with steel or carbide dies?
Also, anyone know of any good books on reloading?? Not load charts but more of a good how-to book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 AM
The Man

Re: Carbide reloading dies??

What calibers are ya planning in reloading for? Pistols/ rifles ??

I'd venture to guess you will end up with several different books in the near future. Most of the common names have a good instructional section that will really help ya out. Better yet is to find someone willing to show you the ropes and load a few boxes with you.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Duce,

I find the Hornady book of reloading not only has reloading data for Hornady bullets (of course) but the front part of the book has some great information for a beginning reloader.

I would think you will be loading some Hornady bullets anyway, so it's well worth buying this manual.

As for dies, you will find carbide dies for straight wall calibers (such as 44-Mag, 357-Mag, 9mm) but not for "bottle neck" cartridges such as .308, .243, .223, ect.

Buy carbide dies when they make 'em. No lube is required with carbide dies. However, I will tell you that I spray a light coating of "Hornady One-Shot" lube on my straight wall cases because it makes the sizing go much easier.

SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What type of dies you want depends on what cartridges you are loading.

Like the other poster said, for straight-wall pistol cases, get carbide dies.

For rifle or bottleneck pistol cases (.357 Sig), regular steel dies will work. There are some carbide rifle dies, but they are meant for people reloading on a commercial level and you still have to lube the case.

I also agree about the Hornady manual. Great manual to learn lots of stuff.

Steve
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll be doing both rifle and pistol rounds eventually but not it huge quantities so I'll go with steel dies and just lube them up!

I have an old, old (like 1970s) Speer reloading manual someone gave me a few years ago... I leafed thru it just now and it does have some basic reloading info. Gonna take it to work today and read thru it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

Deuce as said get the carbide die where they apply, you can still buy old steel straight wall dies on the forums and e-bay but you will regret it. I read you can buy carbide 223 dies but they also need lube. Most of use that started out with steel dies for pistol and rifle back in the 60 &70 were very happy to give up what steel dies we could.

I would also recommend a new reloading manual. Powders and loads change and its best to be up to date, I agree with the Hornady manual in that I have found the best deals on Hornady rifle bullets.

The Lyman manual is also good, they do not manufacture bullets as well as the Lee manual so more of a generic manual, Both however make bullet molds and have some cast loads as well.

Any good Reloading manual will have a getting started section in the front, Just remember all manuals will promote their products, This is the difference between say Hornady and Lyman, the Hornady manual list only Hornady bullets were the Lyman and Lee will be more broad based.

You tube has some good videos, just be careful I have seen questionable practices on there. If you can find a reloader close to you a hands on demonstration would be best. Good luck with a very expensive and rewarding addiction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page