Any Franchi 20Ga AL owners? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Any Franchi 20Ga AL owners?

I bought a 20 ga AL for my grand son a year ago. I always had him load on shell at a time while shooting clay birds etc. Last winter I took him pheasant and chukar hunting my clubs private regulated hunting ground and I had him load two shells. Each time he shot, he only got one off because the gun didn't load the second shell. Since it is a recoil operated gun I chalked it up to him not pulling the stock hard enough against his shoulder. This was using Estate cartridge 7/8 ox of shot and 2 1/2 dram equivalent target loads. While getting ready to take him dove hunting in a couple of weeks I decided to clean the gun real well and take it out and shoot it myself. I took some of the estate loads and a box of Kent shells that are 2 3/4 dram of powder and 1 oz of shot both low base shells. The guy I bought the gun from gave me the Kent cartridge shells with the gun. I went out today and tested the gun. I could not get the gun to cycle with the 2 1/2 dram 7/8 oz loads but it worked like a champ with the 2 3/4 dram 1 oz loads. Now Before anyone say it, yes I have the governor ring facing in the right direction for light loads. I called Franchi customer service when I got home and the tech told me the gun should work with 2 1/2 dram equilivant 7/8 oz loads. He said they were having problems with the ALs and light loads and if I send it back to them at Pocomo city MD they would work on it. Problem is, I wouldn't get it back before dove season and I only have the kid for a couple of days do to him being an ice hockey player. Long story I know, but the reason is to see if anyone else has had a similar problem with an AL and what did you do to solve it?

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any Franchi 20Ga AL owners?

I had you a few years ago and had no problems with any ammo in it. I sold it a few years ago and wish I didn't. Good luck and I hope your grandson has a good time trying to hit those doves.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't have any problems with mine as long as the friction ring is in the right orientation.

I would clean the tube that friction ring and spring go on. Meaning I would make sure its nice and smooth. I would also clean the action.

If that didn't work, lightly oil it and try that. They recommend running them dry, but that doesn't always work.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Thanks for the responses. I am a sxs guy so semis while I have shot them, are new to me when it comes to cleaning. When I got the gun it was full of that sticky oil they put on new guns. I stripped the gun down and cleaned it and I thought I had cleaned it well. The manual says not to oil the magazine tube where the recoil spring and governor ring slide back and forth so I didn't bother with it since all the sticky stuff was in the inside. We never used more than one sell at a time till Dec and Jan on my cllub grounds and i shell wroked fine, when I went to two was when I had a problem. This morning I took the gun apart and rubbed the magazine tube down well with hoppes #9 and did the same thing with the recoil spring and the governor ring. I took it out and ran 12 rounds threw it, 3 at a time and the gun functioned perfectly. Look like we will be ready for Sept 1.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Good luck with it. Had a 28ga Franchi AL for many years and wish I never sold it. Never had a problem with even the lightest loads. Even quality firearms can have problems. If you only single loaded it in the past you would'nt notice the problem at all.

Me personally if restrained by time I would shoot it a lot with the heavier loads as kind of a "break in" then a full cleaning and try some of the light loads. This is not the best suggestion, but without the time to send it back I would hope a couple of boxes of heavy loads would smooth out your problem.

Best of luck.

Semper Fi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page