remember when - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

remember when

If you're old enough when you could buy a gun anywhere? At auto supply stores like Western Auto or small box stores at the time like JC Pennys, Montgomery Wards or Sears? And take it home with no paper work. And buy ammo at any gas station. Those were the days, and no mass murders or violence because the lack of gun controls...John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Re: remember when

10-4 bought my first rifle an Ithaca 22 at Western Auto at age 14. Bought a 12 Slug gun at JCP I took 26 deer with that weapon...MI, IN, NY and PA. $29.95...Ithaca Buck Buster.

Bought 2 Browning A5 shot guns and a BL 22 Browning from JCP.

Still have all of the guns except the Ithaca 22.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 PM

well times they were different. I remember when Western Auto sold "Revelation" brand ammo and guns. There were also only 4 car manufacturers Ford, Chevy, Chrysler and Rambler. (Studebaker having just folded)
There were mass shootings and killings back when. We have forgotten about some of them. The 1968 Gun control act was supposed to cure many ills. I have an old hunting magazine and pistols and rifles were dirt cheap and mail order. A BSA Martini rifle in 357 mag was just $10, with free shipping. Today that rifle runs about $500 There was the 1960's shootings at the tower at some texas university. A&M maybe. Thing was, everybody else had guns too.

There weren't as many crazy folks running out of the asylum back then either. Now every body has rights, back then they were committed and lived their lives in institutions.

I visited Potomac Arms in Alexandria Virginia years ago. They literally had milsurp guns standing muzzle down in barrels with signs, $XX your choice., (I bought the last 6 Martini Henry Enfields that they had.) Carcanos were $12 each. Arisakas were not much more.

Those were the days.

There were indeed mass murders, just less frequent. (in the 1930's, IIRC, a janitor wired an elementary school heater with dynamite. A midwest Town lost over 30 students.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Borntohunt, I bought my first mod 94 at either Pennys or Butler brothers department store in 1962 for 69 bucks and in 73 I bought a new Marlin at k-mart for the same price, ah that real walnut...........John
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

zimmerstutzen, off topic but my dad was always wierd, he had a Kaiser Frazer and a Henry J. I was embarrased to ride in them until he gave me the Henry J....John
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Sage

I used to take my shotgun to school, and with my hunting coat, leave them on the bus all day, get off the bus at my buddy's house and go rabbit hunting after school...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Hones
zimmerstutzen, off topic but my dad was always wierd, he had a Kaiser Frazer and a Henry J. I was embarrased to ride in them until he gave me the Henry J....John
Your Dad too huh? Dad had three Kaisers, a '51, '53 and a hi performance Supercharged '54.

Back to the old days ....

Yes, I remember the only question asked when buying a firearm was "Do you need ammo or does your Dad know your buying this"?

I left Joe The Motorist Friend one day with a '98 under each arm and walked down the main street in town. The chief if police drove by....and waived "Hi".

In town you could by a firearm at Joes's, Western Auto, Shear's furniture store and Zarfoss hardware.

You could go into Tropical Treat( Trop gunshop today) and while eating a hamburger buy a Mod 70.

At Boyer's store in Rheems the ammo was right next to the candy counter, buy a "Forever Yours" and a box of 22's to shoot rats at the local dump.

I remember in "Unk's" shop brown paper bags of H4831 setting around, it was $2.00-$2.50 a pound then, a five pound bag was a little cheaper, a buck seventy-five or so maybe. He charged between $2.50 and $3.00 a box of "custom" loaded ammo. I used to help him but never figured out if he was teaching me how to reload or I was just cheap labor!

Ah, for the good old days!

Bill
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 PM

My first car (that I bought on my own) was a $50 1963 Studebaker Lark, 3 on the tree, Packard 6 cyl eng. That thing got me to a lot of hunting spots for the year I had it.

My uncle drove a Hudson (Hornet?) into the middle 1960's. He stayed in it when camping. Called it Hotel Hudson.

Everybody had a Winchester model 94, a 22 of some kind and a shotgun. Ahh the smell of burned cordite, Hoppes and autumn leaves, followed by a feast of braised rabbit or broiled pheasant.

From Sept to Thanksgiving, My dad kept a basket of apples behind the driver's seat of his vehicle. When driving to a hunting spot, it just doesn't seem right without the smell and taste of apples.

I have two old Stoeger's Catelogues on the book shelf. The other must have was the Herter's cat.

I can just barely remember life before television. Families would gather in the living room in the evening, kids playing on the floor. Fathers generally reading the paper and the floor model radio with some radio theater or ball game. Mothers often sat and knitted. A whole distant world away.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Sage

Remember new rifles at Joe The Motorist's Friend and Miller's Auto Supply in the good old days, Also racks of Mausers and Enfields, both places.

My buddies and I used to stock up on cheapo Alcan shotgun shells at one of those places, before small game seasons.

Also recall the full page Klein's ads in magazines, with just about any milsurp one could think of, all mail order back then. But since Oswald obtained his Carcano from Klein's, that spelled the beginning of the end for that stuff.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hey I can remember dressing as Davy Crockett while in grade school and carrying an old single barrel 16 ga. I had a 30/30 in trophy case at high school for a display one year too. Taking guns to school in our cars was no big deal. Oh well today we need protection from ourselves, just ask any liberal out there.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page