INTERNAL barrel rust? can you remove it all? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

INTERNAL barrel rust? can you remove it all?

is it possible to remove all barrel rust or is that determined on how pitted a barrel has become? ie..i assume most rust starts in the rifling....do you just keep cleaning and patching and swabbing until you get it clean or as clean as your satisfied?...i assume wants its there its there and you can only control it as much as you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Re: INTERNAL barrel rust? can you remove it all?

Shoot it. You'll be suprised how much gets removed.

Alrighty then!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Clean it real well first. then shoot and clean like regular. alot will come out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A properly sized bronze bore brush will get most of it quick with any kind of lube or cleaner to flush the barrel and brush out as you go. Then patch clean with cleaners. Then shoot. I have an old Mod 70 that is pitted up, but shoots great groups in spite of it. Coppers up like a bugger tho!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You certainly can remove it all but just understand that the rust is the barrel. It's not extra iron that got in there somehow. However small or large it may be when you remove the rust you are leaving behind some size of indentation in the barrel. The pitting occurs due to rust removal.

This is a 60 year old chromoly barrel that has no rust but you can see a fair amount of pitting from previous rusting and a lot of embedded copper. This gun is just a bear to keep free of copper. Click on pic.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 PM
MrC
Hooked on HuntingPa

Lead and copper fouling can be brushed out with a "dry" copper brush. I would imagine oxidization could be too. Dry is the key. Wet brushing tends to glide over. Only takes a couple passes. You'll see the dust fly. If you can see pits at the end of the barrel on the lands after brushing, time for another gun or new barrel. Minor pits can be filled by shooting a few rounds followed by a wet patch with lube.

Happiness is a fine Mauser build.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM
MrC
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz
You certainly can remove it all but just understand that the rust is the barrel. It's not extra iron that got in there somehow. However small or large it may be when you remove the rust you are leaving behind some size of indentation in the barrel. The pitting occurs due to rust removal.

This is a 60 year old chromoly barrel that has no rust but you can see a fair amount of pitting from previous rusting and a lot of embedded copper. This gun is just a bear to keep free of copper. Click on pic.

Nice pic. Thanks.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

How can you remove copper with a dry brush? I shoot and clean way more than the average person and have never seen or heard of anyone cleaning copper with a dry brush, same can be said for carbon fouling.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
MrC
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sorry I didn't specify. Rust (the subject of the OP) and ''light copper and carbon'' comes right out with a dry brush. Really heavy copper fouling in barrels that have 300-400 hundred rounds through them before cleaning, takes a strong solvent. I like M-Pro 7 products. Just don't let their copper solvent sit on blued surfaces. Their copper solvent only took 2 apps to remove heavy copper deposits from a grossly neglected barrel. After I dry-brushed it a few times, I just mopped it in, let it soak 10 minutes, brushed it 5 passes in each direction and swabbed it out. Good stuff. Better than all the rest I've tried. Rust alone is easy to remove if it is dry. Give dry brushing a try. It really gets out a lot of dust. Again, anything wet also acts as a lubricant. Those spiral loop brushes clean the lands well too. They don't get a thing out of the grooves though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page