misfires and duds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

misfires and duds

I recently began hearing increasing complaints about dud cartridges in manufactured ammo. One fellow said he bought a bulk pack of 22lr and had five or 6 out of 250 cartridges.

Thursday I stopped at a local gun shop and a shooter was buying a black gun and a bulk pack of American Eagle ammo. His buddy said yeah, (pointing to the box) this is good 223 ammo, but you will get 4 or 5 duds.

Huh? I'd be so PO'd if I had a 2% dud rate in my ammo. Has this become normal? I can imagine a hunter trying to keep calm as he squeezes the trigger at a really huge buck only to hear click.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:30 PM

Re: misfires and duds

I always shoot Federal Power-Shok out of my Browning A-Bolt 30/06, never had a failure yet. I have shot a ton of Remington Core-Lokt in a 243 and 270 Pump with zero failure

22LR duds are to be expected..its rimfire and just the fact so many are cranked out a day on the assembly line there is bound to be a few

223 I have no experience with
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Administrator

I've never had a misfire from remington core-lokt, but have had it from those bulk .22 LR by remington.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Never had a problem with any American Eagle 223 shells.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bulk Remington .22lr shells have got to be the absolute worst (reliability wise) shells that I have fired...or tried to fire... in 35 years. I had two 500+ packs and at 2-3 out of a clip of 30 would not fire no matter how many strikes on the primer or if they were tried in another gun. I put up with it for a whole pack and gave the second one away(explained tho that they were unreliable). I had problems with their Buckhammer slugs a few years back also. 4/10 would not fire in two slug guns I own and Remingtons answer was that I must have weak hammer springs, Both slug guns were brand new.......
I simply would not trust any Rem ammo to save my life.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 01:43 AM

I like Federal 36 grain bulk 22LR ammo and CCI Blazer 22LR 525 bulk pack
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 AM
The Man

I started some 22 pliking this summer and have experienced it and must say first time in my life having a dud.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuff
Bulk Remington .22lr shells have got to be the absolute worst (reliability wise) shells that I have fired...or tried to fire...
I do not use Remington rimfire ammo but your opinion seems to be shared by a lot of 22 shooters. There is a lot of info about the Remington problem on RFC.com.

As for centerfire ammo.......other than some old third world military ammo I cannot remember the last misfire I had and I shoot a lot.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have only ever had 1 missfire in a centerfire and it was oneof my own reloads. I think the bolt on ,y A3 was not completely down as it barely dented firing pin. Fo rimfires I had Federal cheapies and some good loads that did not go bang.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 PM
hdt
Banned

My sons and I do alot of pinking and target shooting with .22s. The remington bulk ammo has many shells that will not fire. Sometimes they will fire if you give them another try. It happens with four different rifles and one revolver, so it can't be the gun.

Two year ago we shot a box of Rem. .243 factory loads and three of twenty did not fire.

I never had a single missfire until 3 or 4 years ago. Our ammunition isn't being out sourced to foreign countries is it???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page