looking for an ar-15 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

looking for an ar-15

I am looking at buying an ar and know nothing about them Althought I do know pretty much about firearms What would be a good one to start looking at any ideas would be great Thanks

NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Banned

Re: looking for an ar-15

Really depends on what you plan on doing with it.

If you want one for self defense/home protection, then look to the M4 carbine versions. Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Rock River Arms, Ruger, Daniel Defense, S&W, and Stag all have good guns. Prices will vary. I have a Colt LE 6920 M4 and I really like it.

If you are looking for more of a target/hunting rifle then I would look at something like the Remington R15 and some of the longer, heavier barreled offering from DPMS and others.

The most common caliber is obviously the .223/5.56 NATO but they are now offered in many different ones. DPMS really has a wide array of calibers to choose from, anywhere from the .223 to .260 to .308, all the way up to some .40 calibers offerings.

I am a stickler for quality so that is why I went with the Colt. Not saying it is better than the rest per se, just a reputation for quality and reliability. Do some research online and find out what to look for in a quality AR such as good bolt carriers, triggers, and chrome lined barrels.

The AR is a very versatile platform. Uppers and lowers can be swapped to build your perfect rifle and the accessories are endless. Quad rails, laser sights, tactical lights, different flash hiders, etc.

One thing to really pay attention to is what magazines you choose. Most ARs will come with a couple 20 round, steel mags but they are not optimal. You want to look for quality polymer mags that feed reliably. One way to check is to press down hard on either side of the follower. If it springs back up right away with no biding, it is a quality mag. If it tends to want to bind up and act stickier, it could cause you feed problems.

Good luck man and let us know what you decide on. They are a ton of fun.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 PM
The Man

Let us know what it's intended use is and your budget and we can recommend away!

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I live close to you and I have Bushmaster I'm looking to sell because I have a Stag with my name on it. PM me if you want details.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well thanks Adam but my parents won a gun thought a raffle and I am using the credit instead of taking the gun. As far as use mostly just target shooting and plinking . I definitely want a carbine the shorter the better as far as budget it doesn't really matter as long as I am happy with what I get

NRA Life Member
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Banned

Might want to consider the .22 options in ARs. A lot cheaper to shoot but stills tons of fun.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I want the 223

NRA Life Member
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 PM

get it chambered for the 5.56

you can shoot 223 out of it and the 5.56 as well but you can not shoot the 5.56 out of a 223 reliably.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just bought the brand new bushmaster MOE midlength. Check it out on their website. It just came out in 2012.

This Gun is sick!!!

For those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings as eagles..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:02 AM

Been reading up on them lately as I am learning also. I went with a DPMS. Colt is rated high quality. Many like the Rock River, and S&W. Armlite seems to be at the lower end. The new Sig sauer uses a different cycling system, I would think being a Sig it would be high quality also. The better makes seem to go in the $900 or so range but I wouldn't go just on price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page