Gun Choice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to wv windy ridge
Gun Choice

I have a 8 yr old daughter whose is going to hunt for the first time this year on a out of state youth hunt. She has been shooting pellet guns and a .22 for a year now. Claiming she is ready to get a deer I decided to take her on a youth hunt day. Now for the big question. I am unfamiliar with small caliber arms. No one I know has a youth model gun for me to either borrow or attempt to let her shoot in preparation. So I am looking here for advise on which way to go. BTW. my wife hunts also but shoots either 12 ga slugs or 30-30. I was considering a .243 as a first gun for the girls to shoot or a 7mm-08 then using the factory reduced recoil shells? is that a option over a .243? or has anyone ever shot a remmington .221 fireball? Seems to have some decent ballistics just not sure I am comfortable with that particular weapon. It seems that it will have a limited purpose and a time frame of use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really want to get a gun by the end of Aug to get her shooting.

Harvesting imature game removes future trophies. Patience is rewarded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Gun Choice

If you can pick your shots a 22/250 or .223 would do the trick with right bullets.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 AM

7mm/08 243 260. all would be great choices,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shoot both a 30-30 and a .243 and they are close as far as kick. I would choose the .243 though. It has better ballistics then the 30-30. Make sure you pick a rifle with a fast enough twist to shoot heavier bullets in the .243 jmo

I would not reccomend a .221 fireball

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel-Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 AM

A 30-30 with reduced recoil rounds just kind of shakes according to my kid.You already have a 30-30.I would try that first before buying a gun.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 AM
The Man

I think more important than the caliber is to get a rifle that fits her. Something with a short length of pull such as any of the various youth models. If they can't get "down" on the gun properly they are going to develop bad habits from the beginning.

That said I'd go with a 243. Ammo is readily available, can be used for varmints, or deer, and is easy on tender shoulders.

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 AM
Regular Visitor

My son has a Rossi that is a youth sized gun and comes with 3 barrels .243 .22 and 20g.Its only a single shot but it has worked great for him. Its pretty cheap too and you can get one at wal-mart. I think I saw one in the for sale forum recently.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 AM
The Man

223, 243, or 260. I think the 7-08 is going to have to much recoil but im not a 7mm fan any way. The first 3 will do a great job.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONZy
I think more important than the caliber is to get a rifle that fits her. Something with a short length of pull such as any of the various youth models. If they can't get "down" on the gun properly they are going to develop bad habits from the beginning.

That said I'd go with a 243. Ammo is readily available, can be used for varmints, or deer, and is easy on tender shoulders.
I agree!My wife was going to go with a .243, but we ended up getting her a 7mm-08.Shoot great for her with little to no recoil, but ammo is sometimes hard to come by.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to wv windy ridge

i will make sure its a youth rifle. I looked at a few on Sunday that were youth models. Wife was with me but the daughter was not. Only way I could see the fit was with the wife holding one. measured her forearm yesterday and the tip of her trigger finger to the inside of the elbow was 13". I understand a light weight composite stock will be lighter. Was thinking wood just incase we needed some stock work to make the gun right for her to hold. Guess I will be playing it by ear I just know I am running out of time.

Harvesting imature game removes future trophies. Patience is rewarded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page