Input on home defense 12gauge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Input on home defense 12gauge

I'm buying a new shotgun this Friday and Im debating on going with night sites like I have on the Glocks or going with a flashlight and or a laser. Whats some of the rigs you guys are running?

Thanks!

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM

Re: Input on home defense 12gauge

I like the light mounted under or along side the barrel. No sights needed, just shoot where the light beam goes. Just my preference.

Alrighty then!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You're better off with a ghost ring sight and a flashlight for shooting a shotgun in the dark.

Free Madcatter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Sage

Even with nightsights, you need to be able to identify what or who you are shooting at. Shooting at a figure in the dark can lead to tragic circmstances. One thing to take into account. A flashlight mounted on your shotgun when it is turned on, gives an intruder a target to shoot at. Better a light that can be held away from your body. There is information available to show you how to use a light in the dark in a shooting situation.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM

Either way you'll be shining a light. The biggest consideration is gun mounted light--gun is pointed at what you're trying to illuminate. Laser can also give them something to shoot at. My handgun has a laser (I'll hold a separate light), my shotgun the surefire forearm with built in light. It is pricey, but also has a dual switch for constant on or on only when you press it. Lies right under your fingers as you hold forearm so you can hold and mount gun as usual. Still need a light in the dark with night sights.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Even with nightsights, you need to be able to identify what or who you are shooting at. Shooting at a figure in the dark can lead to tragic circmstances. One thing to take into account. A flashlight mounted on your shotgun when it is turned on, gives an intruder a target to shoot at. Better a light that can be held away from your body. There is information available to show you how to use a light in the dark in a shooting situation.
I believe holding a light away from your body is an outdated tactic. The mind is not able to concentrate on the target, the firearm, and the light in stressful situations. I believe it has been proven that even highly trained individuals are better off having two hands on the firearm. This means using a weapon mounted light or something like the Harries or Surefire techniques.

I don't think techniques like the FBI hold are encouraged anymore.

I wouldn't hesitate to mount a bright light on the forearm. Then make it your goal to shoot accurately, shoot first, and shoot until the threat is neutralized.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

I also don't think you need to worry about the sights on the gun. At the ranges you'll encounter in a home defense situation, a shotgun points very intuitively.

What I'm saying here is not that you can fill a hallway with the pattern. That is not the case. The pattern will be around the size of a soccer ball or smaller at home defense distances. What I'm saying is sighting down the top of the barrel is plenty accurate for ranges that will most likely be well under 50 feet.

Go with a bright light, no sights (or whatever sights come standard) and a normal buttstock (save the pistol grip only stocks for shooting from the hip in video games).
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Sage

Actually the tactic now is to hold the light in the weak hand with the thumb facing to the rear and finger on the switch and the gun in the strong hand crossed over the weak hand so the light is under the gun. The light is quickly turned on to identify the target then off. There are other methods as well such as rolli.ng the flashlight accross the floor. There are others as well, however, it is not a good idea to have a light on constantly in the dark giving a suspect a good target to shoot at. One can hold the light away from the body and shoot straight if one practices as they should with any technique if you want it to become 2nd nature and effective. I have fired thousands of rounds at night using a light to ID the target and the key to hitting what you need to hit is practice.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Actually the tactic now is to hold the light in the weak hand with the thumb facing to the rear and finger on the switch and the gun in the strong hand crossed over the weak hand so the light is under the gun. The light is quickly turned on to identify the target then off. There are other methods as well such as rolli.ng the flashlight accross the floor. There are others as well, however, it is not a good idea to have a light on constantly in the dark giving a suspect a good target to shoot at. One can hold the light away from the body and shoot straight if one practices as they should with any technique if you want it to become 2nd nature and effective. I have fired thousands of rounds at night using a light to ID the target and the key to hitting what you need to hit is practice.
I don't fully follow what you're saying, but I think you are describing the Harries technique that I mentioned. Using the term "actually" implies that you are contradicting what I said, so I'm a little confused.

Also, how many of the thousands of rounds you fired in the dark using the FBI technique were under the stress of being fired upon? It makes a difference. It sounds to me as though you are trying to defend some bad advice you gave. I'm not all that knowledgeable on this stuff, but I know that what you suggest is no longer recommended by people that are.

As to rolling the light across the floor, that kind of makes it difficult to turn it off or redirect it. It might work ok when you're working with a team, but doesn't seem like a great idea in a home defense situation.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Thats why I was asking this. I've known this for sometime now and it's always a good talking point. I see from the responses I got thus far that I'm not the only one thinking about this. I never took the laser plunge before on handguns for this reason and prefer the night sights. I'm not real big on worrying so much on the target. I know how horrific, but please let me explain and think it out before you attack me for saying that. It's only my wife and I who live here and nobody else has any keys and we don't let our doors unlocked. Therfore, nobody should ever be in our house. If something goes bump in the night in my house and for some reason my K9 trained rottie wouldn't handle them then I have a problem I guess. I'm not real worried about identifying them because if I know where my wife is their shouldn't be anybody else in my house. Thats why I'm still just considering night sights only. If it's a full moon out I can see my sights and pick out targets with our white drywall as backing. My wife and I already practiced this a few times with her being the sneaking bad guy. The problem arise on super dark nights.

My biggest problem is if I'm targeted by a professional thief or something of that nature and they kill our power on a dark night. It all depends where I'm at in the house at that time I guess.

See we recently were discussing this when we lost our power one night last week and it dawned on me then about not being able to see very well in our house. My Glock was in the bedroom at the time because I was just getting out of the shower and was contemplating then about whether or not to get a pistol mounted light.

I'd prefer to wait and hide it out in a room until law enforcement came, but it takes them so long to get where we live that if somebody did break in at some point I'd probably have to confront them. Does anybody no any good classes coming up in the near future on Home defense. I'm especially interested in a class that might have knowledge on how to utilize our guard and watch dogs along with myself with a shooting iron or two along with my wife. My wife has recently taken a bigger interest in shooting, protecting herself and home defense, in which I'm tickled pink. Thanks for the input fellas and keep it coming.

Maybe Im wrong in my above philosphy and some of you can give me some scenarios in how I am. I'm open minded and seeking advice and knowledge.

Thanks again,

BT

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page