Are you a modern or traditional rifleman??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Are you a modern or traditional rifleman???

Been kinda slow on here so I thought I'd try to fire up some discussion.

I am definitely a traditionalist when it comes to rifle cartridges. My current rifle that I use the most is a .300 savage M99. I usually shoot 165 grain Hornady Interlocks at 2600 fps and have no problems. I've taken game out to 200 yards with this combo and believe I could out to 300 yards. I'm gonna test that next fall when I go to Wyoming for antelope. All I've shot with it so far are some deer and a black bear. But the next time I hunt caribou or moose I am taking it then too. Probably will jump to 180 grain bullets for the moose.
I have never seen the need for those big cavernous cases that belch out hypervelocity bullets. I don't do any "long range" hunting so have no need for it. I much prefer to sneak around the woods or sit on stand for my hunting so the majority of my shots are 50 - 75 yards.
Are you a modern or traditionalist rifleman and why???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are you a modern or traditional rifleman???

i use a sav 99 in .22 hipower
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Since I have put on some age I am going back to traditional calibers. I want to try and use my .257 and also a .270 or 06 this deer season.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 AM

Like my user name, I love my 44-40 it's a reproduction, but I love the reaction it gets when you tell people what your shooting at the range. If I don't use that, I'm sporting an M44 Mossin Nagant...kills at one end and cripples at the other, lol. Iron sights of course. I've never shot a deer beyond 30 yards, so they seem fit for the job.

I may break the habit this year by using a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel.

I could use a variety of "modern cartridges", but I seem to fall back on those two.

Now if we're talking varmit, I have a custom .223 and .22-250 that wear 6x24x50's that I like to ring the gong with at the Saint Marys sporstsmans club with.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 AM
The Man

I partake in both disciplines with equal enthusiasm. Don't like to limit my experiences to one school or the other.

I have an 1873 Trapdoor. I have an accurized Model 70 S/S 7mm STW with a 6-20 power scope on it and I have some stuff in between. Love shooting and hunting them all.

I do have a soft spot in my heart, though, for anything that burns 80 or 90 or 100 grains of smokeless or more at a crack.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'll use both.
I've burnt enough powder in my mags to know what they are capable of but I don't always like the recoil. I do have a few of them with muzzlebreaks which I believe in. But I like to explore other cartridges. I've used 222 to 338mags for deer but keep coming back to the 7mm line. I love my 7mm mauser for deer and even the 6mm too. My 7-30 waters in a contender was a deer killing machine. To me, it's all about the bullet,not the caliber.

Big D
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Traditionalist, I'm going to use my 1899's in 38-55, 32-40, and 25-35 this year. All of my other rifle killed deer have been shot with a .300 Savage or good old 30-06. I live in Bucks County and have killed a ton of deer with slugs and buckshot. I'm planning on loading up some solid brass cases with 00 Buck and black powder and using my 1870's vintage W&C Scott 10 gauge SXS. It sure puts the fun back in doe hunting!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Sage

Both, but tending more towards how I started out over 50 years ago. My first deer rifle was a 1920s vintage M94, still have it.

Went to a M700 25-06 in the late 70s, still have that one too and it's what I took my deer with last season, but I now primarily use old rifles w/iron sights for doe. Mostly lever rifles in 35 Rem., 32 Spl., 38-40 or 44 mag.

Older I get, more I like hunting with old rifles.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I picked up a cherry enfield this year around new years. All matching numbers accept the mag. Its a no4 and the chamber and rifling is good in it. I plan on using handloads shooting 150 gr interlocks. If i get my buck in archery i plan on using this in rifle season for doe.

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel-Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 PM

One of the nicest looking SMLE's I have ever seen.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page