Winchester Model 12 28ga - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Winchester Model 12 28ga

OK, I started a new thread because for some reason I couldn't edit my original thread. I did some digging and it appears as though I have a 28ga model 12 which is much more valuable than I thought. It looks like the values can range anywhere from $2500 to upwards of $5000. The biggest thing I can see is if the cutts compensator is factory installed or aftermarket. If it's aftermarket there will be a choke marking on the barrell indicating what the original choke was. If it was aftermarket the value of the gun goes down by 50%. However, if the cutts compensator was purchased as an option from the factory there will be no marking on the barrell at all indicating any choke and won't even say "cutts" on the barrell. If this is the case it seems as though the value of the gun is actually increased 25%. After looking over my gun there is definitely no choke markings on the barrel which leads me to believe that the cutts compensator was ordered from the factory. From what I know of the gun it was bought from an elderly lady who's husband purchased the gun brand new to shoot sporting clays with. If all this is true, then at 60% condition it puts my gun at just over $3,000. Can someone shoot some holes in this for me? Not that I'm hoping for a let down but I want to find out the truth as if this gun is indeed valuable I'm definitely selling it as I'd hate to let something like that sit in my gun cabinet. I'd rather have it appreciated by a real collector. If you want to see some pics, they're in my other thread.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Winchester Model 12 28ga

After looking up the serial number it appears as though it was made in 1950.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Sage

Bearkiller, take that thing over to the Sportsmans shop in New Holland, they will be able to tell you what you have and you won't have to guess.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

From your pics in the other thread you can safely say the Cutts was added. Your gun was made with a fixed Skeet choke, thats why it is so marked. The Cutts compensator was widely used on many shotguns. It is a " Detractor" on value unless factory installed and documented. You have a fairly rare gun. From your pics I can see condition issues. The gun auction you refer to in your other thread is not an individual, its CSM, a huge gun company notorious for asking outrageous prices. I repeat, " asking", they seldom see the numbers they list for. Your gun would fetch at least 2 grand from most anyone in the know about the model. It is not in higher condition to see more than that, but I think its great just the same.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks Joe. I'm glad you told me about the Skeet stamping. I wasn't thinking that was a choke but rather the type of model 12 it is. As far as the other auction goes I in no way thought mine was close to that value. I was just surprised to see it that high. After doing some more research today I was thinking about 2k for the gun as well. The only problem now is to find a buyer lol.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Joe, from calling around and researching some stuff online all I can seem to find says that the "skeet" stamping on the barrel is not the choke but rather the grade of gun. You could purchase a model 12 in either skeet or field grade. The choke would normally be labeled as WS1. If the skeet grade gun had WS1 on it and a cutts compensator it was aftermarket but if it didn't have WS1 then it was factory. Are you positive that "skeet" is the choke because I can't find anything else confirming that. I don't mean to question you but I'm finding differing answers.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its a tough call. I judged your Cutts as aftermarket on your pics. It looks like it is further down than a factory installed one. Winchester was not the best on documenting special order guns, the one after yours may have went down the line marked differently. That I know for sure as I had the pleasure of being friends with one of Winchesters old gunsmiths and engravers. You could order WS1 ( Winchester Skeet One ) choke, or any other. I am by no means the experts expert, I would just caution you to be wary of "Internet Ninjas", so called experts who are using the Wal Mart gun guide as their expertise. Its my opinion that yours was added on later, based on your pics, but if I am incorrect you still win, its worth even more !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks Joe, I did some more asking around on shotgunworld and PAFOA. It turns out that we're both correct. Skeet designates a skeet grade gun with a skeet choke so it seems as though the choke was aftermarket. What else I found is that while the choke does decrease the value it's not quite 50% as the book states. From all of the feedback I got it seems as though the gun in it's current condition is probably in the 2000-2500 price range. Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page