Remington 760 questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Remington 760 questions

My dad ha the 760 that was my great-grandfathers. It has had maybe 2-3 boxes of shells shot through it was always oiled and cleaned after shooting, but still doesn't seem to be holding up. The bluing on the gone looks as if it is wearing off and getting a rust tint to it. Also last year my dad took it hunting and we got in some rain. Apparently the stock got moisture in the wood because the wood of the stock as swollen up. We took the but plate of and the white seal that is on the end of the stock has deteriorated. I have a 760 that was used hard for many years by pap and was in by far more rain the other gun mentioned and has none of the problems that my dad's is having. They are cleaned and taken care in the same way.

I know the gun with problems was purchased at Montgomery Ward. Does anyone know if the 760s made for Montgomery Ward is the same as was sold at gun shops or could it be lesser quality made for chain stores. I searched on line but didn't if d any info. Also any suggestion on what to do with the stock are welcome?

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 PM

Re: Remington 760 questions

Not sure about a difference in quality, but sounds like some moisture may have gotten to this gun while stored. Especially if it was stored in a gun case in a closet or something. Re-bluing can be done and you can get a new stock for it if you want to have it refurbished.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 PM

All the 760s are were the same quality no matter where
you bought them. Is it possible that has been reblued and
refinished poorly in the past?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

To the best of our knowledge it was never reblued ecause my great-grandfather bought it new but passed away shortly after. It was my grandfathers until he passed and now dad and I have the two that he had. I was stored many years in a gun cabinet with rest of my pap's guns and now our's. We have never had this happen to any of our other guns so I as just curious, mostly because I read about the Marlin 336 lever gun having an chain market version in the 30AS, so I thought maybe Remington did the same thing. As far a getting a new stock is there anywhere I can get a stock like the factory one with heck wrong and the white seal between the end of the stock and the but plate? That is what I was looking for but have not yet been successful. I always find them without the white seal.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Also as far as swelling goes, we noticed it last hunting season after buying the first Tuesday where it rained so much. This is why it made me think maybe it was from being in the rain that day, but mine was in the same rain and was fine.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:53 PM
The Man

Rain does no gun any good...I'm at the point where any gun with wood stays at home when it pours...I have some synthetic stocked guns for the wet weather now....Once ruined a tackdriving Model 700 because I hunted with it in a downpour.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For those of you that love wood stocks hate synthetic, like me. Here's something that will help.
You can't prevent wood from taking on moisture completely but here's a trick that will help. Remove the stock from the action, remove the butt plate. Every where you can see bare wood apply a coat or two of birchwood casey tru oil. Just rub it in with your fingers, letting it dry between coats. Once the tru oil has dried take a good furniture paste wax and again apply a couple of coats to the complete stock, and every nook and cranny you can get at, then buff with a cloth.Treat it like fine furniture,which it is. The water will bead up and run off just like a newly waxed auto. Repeat the wax at the end of each season when you clean the gun.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaines32
the white seal between the end of the stock and the but plate?
That "seal" is called a white line spacer. I used to have dozen or so laying around here. Some of the older ones where a hard plastic, the newer one a vinyl material of sorts.

Pachmayr stock spacers

You simply grind them to fit.

Bill
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 AM

The older 760's are noted to have problems with the stocks swelling up as the years go by. It is a common issue with them as the old gun stock finish doesn't hold up like the new stuff does.
As far as the blueing goes, has it ever been stored in a foam padded gun case for any period of time? after time the foam padding will start to take off the blueing. My Dad had that happen to one of his old remingtons.

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anywhere you like, but you can only spend it once.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

As far as I know the gun was always in a wooden gun cabinet with glass doors. We never had any problems with our other guns that have woodn stocks being in the rain but after this as was mention a synthetic stocked gun for down pours is seeming like a good idea. It's. Shame cuz this gun was in great condition but the last year or so has just took a real turn for the worse.

Bill thanks for the link for the white line spacers. The one that was on it seemed to be of a hard plastic but it fell apart when we took the butt plate off.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page