Ruger Hawkeye Compact Mag vs Browning Xbolt Hunter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Ruger Hawkeye Compact Mag vs Browning Xbolt Hunter

Hey guys,

I live in PA. and I am looking for a 20" to 22" hunting rifle in 308. I like the Ruger Hawkeye Compact Magnum and the Browning Hunter. I like to have a light rifle to walk around with. Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Ruger Hawkeye Compact Mag vs Browning Xbolt Hunter

I have a Ruger compact in a 308and it really shoots good, can't go wrong with a Ruger!
Never had a Browning, so I can't comment about them.

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Oh yeah, and welcome to the site

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm a big fan of Ruger's, have several and they all shoot well. As mentioned before, can't go wrong with a Ruger. You might want to check out the Ruger Ultralight in the 308 cal. They have 20" barrels and weigh about 6lbs. One of the nicest guns to carry in the woods, many guys don't ever get rid of them once they hunt with them.
Browning's are also nice guns. I had a couple and both were extremely accurate. Good luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i have several rugers, MKI, II and hawkeyes. the only one that isn't a tack driver is my RSI 308 which is a full stock. its right on for the first shot and then tends to scatter them after that. but it is a sweet gun to carry. the ultralights are great but the pencil thin barrel sometimes causes the above behavior on them as well. i have two of the frontiers which have thicker 16.5" barrels and they are great for carrying. you can put either the conventional or scout style scope on them. they shoot MOA shot after shot due to their thicker barrel. they are the size of a yard stick and about 6.5lbs. laminated and SS.

i like the RCM's but unless i am mistaken they only come in the RCM calibers right? cost and availability of ammo would be an issue if so. if they came in 308, etc i think they'd be almost ideal.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:18 PM

The browning micro hunter is a sweet gun. Nothing against rugers. In 308 is about 6 lbs with 20 in barrel. They shoot good. LOP is slightly shorter however, so if you're a tall guy the shorter length may not fit you well, but you could always put a thicker recoil pad on if needed.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 AM

i have a compact in 260 for my son great little rifle and i won a 257 roberts in the browning micro medallion both are nice small and compact.....IMHO you cant go wrong with either rifle!

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:49 PM

I like the Browning Micro as well. I have several and they all shoot very well. What I really like is the magazine attached to the hinged floorplate which hides it and gives me a feeling of being secure.

I also like the top tang safety and its location. Also something I feel is sometimes overlooked is the ability to nudge the safety off quietly. You can do this with the Brownings.

They are a classy, classic looking gun also.

The older triggers were not the best, the new ones are much better. Good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page