Rem 700's at Dick's - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Rem 700's at Dick's

Got a Dick's flyer in the mail today and saw that they have Remington 700 Varmint rifles on sale for $500 with a $50 mail-in rebate. The gun includes a bull barrel, synthetic camo finish, X-Mark Pro Trigger and a 4-12x40 scope.

A gun like this in .223 has been on my wish list, although I don't know if I would replace the scope or not. What do y'all think? Is this a decent gun and price, or should I save my money and look for something else?

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
The Man

Re: Rem 700's at Dick's

It's a model 700. You can change it later if it don't quite fit. New stock, barrel, trigger, scope............

Now if you really want a walk around rifle I would keep looking. Bull barrels are heavy after more than a few hundred yards. Gets old real quick.

IMO if you want a gun to take to the range for fun, and then sit next to the field for the afternoon it would seem like a near perfect rig.

Cheap scopes aren't that clear, but they are better than the top of the line of 20 some years past. It can always be changed out later. Most 4-12 scopes I see start at $100-$150 range. 3-9's seem to be almost free in the lower end range. I can't see where it would be any worse than these starter scopes.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I can tell you from being a former lodge manager at Dick's...they likely won't have but maybe one if any in stock...

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just bought and old Rem. 700, BDL, Bull Barrel, in a 243. Great gun! It is real heavy though.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 03:33 AM

The sps varmint is widely known to be a very accurate rifle...pretty hard to beat for the price IMO...

And like was said, you got a m700 action...sky is the limit...and actions sell for nearly what those rifles go for...

I have one in 22-250...with my handloads ive cut 5 shot 1 hole groups...

Like was said...if you wanna walk anywhere or use it predator calling you might want a different gun...that 26" heavy barrel is HEAVY...

Stock design is nice but cheesy plastic...but it works...scope, i put on my 22 and beat the heck out of it...hold zero and works but i had no use for it on the rifle..

Like most newer rems it is prone to rusting...i keep mine heavily oiled on the outside..nothing bad...and it is matte finished so not a huge issue..just gotta keep it oiled...

I am happy with mine...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Sage

M700ADL synthetics preceeded the SPS series and were great bargain rifles. I've shot several of 'em and still own one in 223.

My huntin' bud had several, including one in 6mm Rem. that was one of about a half dozen chamberings never "catalogued" by Remington, but made for Grice's.

22" pencil barrel and that thing is a tack driver w/Ballistic Tips, specifically the 55gr and 85gr ones. He called it his walking varminter, also thumped a bedded doe with it some years ago, at 395 yards (from a Harris bipod)...in the punkin.

As for cheapo "package gun" scopes, a cousin's son won a M700ADL synthetic in 30-06 about 8 years ago. Came with a Simmons 3x9x40 that he figured to replace with a "real" scope. It's still on there and he's still killing deer with it. If I ask him why he didn't replace that junk scope yet, he says 'cause it still works fine.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbear12
Got a Dick's flyer in the mail today and saw that they have Remington 700 Varmint rifles on sale for $500 with a $50 mail-in rebate. The gun includes a bull barrel, synthetic camo finish, X-Mark Pro Trigger and a 4-12x40 scope.

A gun like this in .223 has been on my wish list, although I don't know if I would replace the scope or not. What do y'all think? Is this a decent gun and price, or should I save my money and look for something else?
Get it, you won't regret it. I bought one of those in the 223 and it's a tack driver, the only drawback is it's a bit on the heavy side carrying. Especially with a bipod on it. I'm 57 and have no trouble carrying it around.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great input guys... As of last night, the gun rack has a new addition. I can't wait for my weekend to get here so I can get it broke in and give 'er some range time. I've bought plenty of guns before, but this is the first brand-new gun that I've bought for myself so I'm pretty excited!

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page