Use hand loader? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Use hand loader?

Anyone ever use a hand loader like a Lee hand press to reload? I'm wondering if a hand loader is an inexpensive way to get into reloading a couple hundred rounds at a time.

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 AM
New Arrival

Re: Use hand loader?

The Lee hand loader is all I use, for 20 years or so. It will not produce a lot of rounds quickly. What works is to have a large supply of brass so that one day you resize, another day trim rifle case or bell pistol case mouth and when needed prime and reload. This is in addition to the already loaded rounds ready to go. Can take it to camp, can resize pistol brass while watching TV. It surely is not a Progressive Press but it will get the job done.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

I've used the Lee Hand press since the late 90's. I can load anything from pistol cartridges to magnum rifle cartridges while sitting on my coach watching the tube. I don't even bother with a bench mounted press anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Sage

I would not want to shoot any ammo that was loaded by someone watching TV. I have seen what a double loaded round does to a gun, and that was a factory load.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
I would want to shoot any ammo that was loaded by someone watching TV. I have seen what a double loaded round does to a gun, and that was a factory load.
I was thinking the same thing....when I load my complete attention is always on what I am doing....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

A double charge can happen with any set up, But I hear about it happening more with the Progressive presses and new reloaders. No matter what you are reloading on there should be no distractions. I read a post not too long ago, a guy was using a Hornady LNL with the powder cop die and still managed to let one slip threw. I can not think of one firearm manufacturer that states itís ok to shoot reloads. But if done with respect for what you are doing it is very safe.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Sage

When I was still reloading, I closed the door to my reloading room, and told my wife to hold any phone calls and I would call whoever it was back. I didn't eat or drink in there either. It is too easy to make a mistake that could be fatal. When I was still working I was running a qualification shoot for officers who worked at the Hbg headquarters. We did not carry the 4" 686s because we worked most times in plain clothes. We had alread shot the 3 yrd and the 7 yrd and had moved back to the 15 yard line. I gave the command to shoot and almost immediately a hand went up on the line. The officer handed me his 1911 .45 that was his personal gun that had been Camp Perry accurized. The slide was greatly bulged and the action was locked up tight, the walnut grips were in splinters and fell on the ground and the bottom of the magazine was gone and it was empty. The officer was ok except for the temporary loss of feeling in his right hand. I started the line again to shoot the 15 yard line and shortly after the shoot command another hand went up, it was another .45 1911 with a bulged slide and locked up. At least the 2nd gun belonged to the PGC. At that point I pulled everyone of the line with a .45 and collected all the ammo they had and re boxed it. I called the manufacturer and told them what happened. They told me to send the case of which contained the ammo we used that day back to them and not to shoot any more that we still had along with the destroyed handguns. and they would investigate. They called back in about a week and told me some of the ammo in the run ours came from was double loaded and to send all we had back to them and they would reimburse us. They also told me to select any two .45 caliber hand guns on the market and they would buy them and forward them to us. The officer who had his gun destroyed picked the brand he wanted and I selected another Colt for the agency replacement. I never purchased that brand of ammo again, even though they made good. I no longer trusted it. What had happened was the recoil was so great from the ammo being overloaded the top round in the magazines went off at the same time as the round in the chamber. We were very fortunate that an officer didn;t lose the use of his hand.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That just made me cringe.

When I reload there is no radio or anything on. If someone comes down stairs, I quickly find a good stopping place and talk to them, but not at the same time.

I love to reload and find it relaxing, actually. But I have a set routine when I am doing it. Things go in certain places. And I always put everything away.

To the OP, I have never used a hand press. Mine is an old lyman turret. Turrets aren't that important, in fact I use mine merely to hold my other dies and only go through one process at a time.

Having said that, the only difficulty that I could see would be depriming/resizing cases. I lube mine and they are still difficult sometimes. I don't know what it would be like to get out a sticking case from a hand held apparatus, but I would think it was difficult.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't forget, you still need to get a scale, case trimmer, powder thrower, and a loading block would be useful, plus dies for each cartridge.

Looking in cabela's, you only save like $60 bucks between the hand press and the cheap lee. I don't care much for lee presses, but its miles above in my opinion.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 PM
The Man

HighCountry66 the handloader (at least the one I have) is caliber specific and neck sizes only.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page