New England Firearms Survivor Rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

New England Firearms Survivor Rifle

Awhile back I got a gun used. It is a NEF Survivor rifle. There is no caliber listed on the barrel. From what I can discern these guns only come in .223, 308, or .410/45 long colt. This one has a rifled barrel but also has a shotgun choke in the buttstock. I'm pretty sure it is a .410/45 long colt, I will confirm with the guys at the local gun store that I have the appropriate caliber and that the gun is good to go before using. My questions is this, I bought this gun believing it was a .410 for my son to use on squirrels. I have never used a 45 long colt caliber. Is this an appropriate caliber for deer? If so whats the recoil like. Obviously if so I will have him practice with whatever we will use so he would be ready, but if it is an appropriate caliber does anyone have any ammo recommendations. I kind of fell into this gun and now I'm thinking it might be a wonderful starter gun for my son if I can learn more about it. Its a scoped single shot that's short enough for him and he could use .410 for squirrels and possibly the 45 long colt for deer, I was hoping the gun is appropriate as it would give him more familiarity using the same gun for everything for the next couple years. Thanks for any input concerning this gun or either of the calibers and ammo recommendations for a young hunter.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: New England Firearms Survivor Rifle

if it is the 45/410 all it has is a bead front -ok for the 410 not so good for the .45. 45 colt will work as a short range deer cartridge.dont shoot the .45colt ammo with the choke in the barrel.do you have any pics?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Sage

Since you ask, I sure wouldn't start a kid out with that gun. The stock configuration stinks for hunting purposes, shooting shot down a fully rifled barrel really is not a good idea for regular use in hunting. The gun will be a handicap for a child just learning to hunt. The price I have seen them advertised for is 300.00 or better, you can get a decent used shotgun or rifle for that price that won't have a mannual hammer to mess with and in a better gauge than .410 and will have a stock meant for hunting. The gun is meant for last resort, survival, not as a regular hunting weapon. Ask yourself, if you had a choice to hunt with that gun or a gun that was actually meant for hunting, which would you choose?

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll try and get some tomorrow. It has a bushnell 3x9 scope on it. He would only be shooting short ranges.

Molon Labe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

John, he has been hunting with a youth .22 for squirrels and we can stick with that if necessary. I basically got this gun for nothing and my son really likes it because it is so short. He has not shot it yet so will see, but I was planning on putting some type of recoil pad on it or getting him one to wear if he did use it. He could end up shooting it and not liking it I just wanted to see if I could find out more about the gun before we used it. He could still use the .22 for squirrels. He wants to go deer hunting this year and we plan to use a crossbow in archery for him, but he has also expressed interest in maybe hunting deer in gun season and I wasn't sure if he could use this out of a deer stand where all his shots will be 50 yards or less. Appreciate the input.

Molon Labe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

it will work at 50 yards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page