Hunting Gun Setup and 223 as a Deer Round. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hunting Gun Setup and 223 as a Deer Round.

I finished a trade from an AR I had. The AR is fun, but from a hunting perspective in this state rather useless. I was able to work out a trade where I'll get a Winchester 1200 (28 inches and a ton of ammo) and a Remington 78 Sportsman chambered in .223 with a 3X9 Bushnell Scope (also a Sig P226 Navy, but that's not really for hunting) and also a ton of ammo. I figure this has me covered for hunting anything and anywhere in the state of the PA (and that in the case of .223 it can be both varmit and a deer round. Any thoughts?

Now I just need to find a place to start hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: I think this setup should do nicely for all game

The 223 is not a deer round. Will it kill a deer? Sure, but so will a 22 short. Unless you're going to pass on all but standing shots at short range, you're going to lose deer with that round.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpa
The 223 is not a deer round. Will it kill a deer? Sure, but so will a 22 short. Unless you're going to pass on all but standing shots at short range, you're going to lose deer with that round.
I was under the impression, based on 14 page thread here from ~2009 I found in Google, that 223 and the modern loads/bullets available make it a perfectly fine deer round. I also came across this American Hunter Article from last May which seems to indicate the same thing.
http://www.americanhunter.org/blogs/...-deer-hunting/

That said if it's not the Shotgun will work fine and the rifle can be a good varmint and groundhog removal tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 AM

Like was said...the 223 is not a big game round....it CAN be used...but imo it is best left in the hands of an expirienced hunter if being used for deer...and i would NEVER carry one bear hunting...no offense meant..we were all new hunters at one point or another...

New hunters are prone to making less than perfect shots...not completely understanding anatomy, shot placement etc...

A common 308, 270, 3006 etc will suite you much better imo...

The shotgun will work but it needs setup for deer hunting imo...sure you can shoot rifled slugs and possibly see decent accuracy...but with a bead sight and smooth bore its often about useless...good rifle sights or scope and experimenting with different slugs will be needed....or buy a rifles cantaliver barrel and scope for it and shoot sabots...

IF you are dead set on the 223...nosler makes partitions and i think barnes makes a deer bullet as well...you need a good bullet designed for deer...run of the mill varmint bullets is asking for wounded lost deer imo....

Good luck...id highly recommend a dedicated deer rifle....will treat you much better imo....
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
Like was said...the 223 is not a big game round....it CAN be used...but imo it is best left in the hands of an expirienced hunter if being used for deer...and i would NEVER carry one bear hunting...no offense meant..we were all new hunters at one point or another...
No offense taken, I appreciate all the advice I can get on here.

Quote:
New hunters are prone to making less than perfect shots...not completely understanding anatomy, shot placement etc...
That's a valid point.

Quote:
A common 308, 270, 3006 etc will suite you much better imo...

The shotgun will work but it needs setup for deer hunting imo...sure you can shoot rifled slugs and possibly see decent accuracy...but with a bead sight and smooth bore its often about useless...good rifle sights or scope and experimenting with different slugs will be needed....or buy a rifles cantaliver barrel and scope for it and shoot sabots...
For the moment, it's really the guns I have now, BUT by the time deer season rolls around (knock on wood) I'll be able to get an additional barrel or rifle. Keep in mind being situation in the SRA, there is an incentive to stick around with shotguns. However, now that I finally have a scope, I'll consider going back to a lever gun again for deer season...once again factoring economics and free time. Luckily for now, the only things that can be hunted (red tag excluded) are generally Turkey and Woodchucks, so I think I'll have some time to work on fundamentals before it becomes an issue with deer.

Quote:
IF you are dead set on the 223...nosler makes partitions and i think barnes makes a deer bullet as well...you need a good bullet designed for deer...run of the mill varmint bullets is asking for wounded lost deer imo....
That's my plan. I have regular ones to scope in my rifle, and work on basics, but I'll get the proper ammo load for each animal.

Quote:
Good luck...id highly recommend a dedicated deer rifle....will treat you much better
Thank you very much and truth be told, depending on when and where I hunt, I'll most likely do that.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 AM

Sounds like you understand where we come from and that is great! Hard to talk to a new hunter sometimes because we are just some idiots online...where as you got a magazine article so it MUST be true.....while it is true it is not the best option in this case...

Beong close to speacial reg areas a rifled shotgun barrel with cantaliever scope base on it with a good scope and sabot slugs will be a good option...can hunt anywhere in the state during the regular firearm season....and the sras...only "problem" for a new hunter and a shotgun is high recoil....but, it can be done with practice....

Deer season is a ways off yet...you got some time...i know guns arent the cheapest thing and all that...if you enjoy hunting you will likely end up with a few more guns...maybe not..but it kinda comes with thw territory!
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfanikf
That's my plan. I have regular ones to scope in my rifle, and work on basics, but I'll get the proper ammo load for each animal.
Are you going to hunt up state for deer with that .223?
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
Sounds like you understand where we come from and that is great! Hard to talk to a new hunter sometimes because we are just some idiots online...where as you got a magazine article so it MUST be true.....while it is true it is not the best option in this case...
True, which is why I understand where people are coming from. Honestly when I had a Marlin 336...that was the best gun, but at the time it didn't seem like I would actually wind up hunting (and buying a scope along with space issues) and also why I traded away a nice mossberg combo d'oh. On the bright side they weren't took expensive to begin with so it's not like trading away a 1k gun.

Quote:
Beong close to speacial reg areas a rifled shotgun barrel with cantaliever scope base on it with a good scope and sabot slugs will be a good option...can hunt anywhere in the state during the regular firearm season....and the sras...only "problem" for a new hunter and a shotgun is high recoil....but, it can be done with practice....
That's kind of my thought too, luckily I've been pretty decent riding recoil. Though I really need to order a shotgun plug today before I forget about that. I'm sure I'll be able to find an aftermarket barrel from a Winchester 1200 floating around somewhere.

Quote:
Deer season is a ways off yet...you got some time...i know guns arent the cheapest thing and all that...if you enjoy hunting you will likely end up with a few more guns...maybe not..but it kinda comes with thw territory!
No, I kind of expect that to happen, but I want to get a storage locker setup first before I get anymore, and demonstrate that I enjoy hunting and want to keep doing it, luckily I have time till it really comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfanikf
Are you going to hunt up state for deer with that .223?
It depends, I suspect (cross fingers) with any luck, I'll have either a proper deer shotgun/rifle by the fall, so it will be a non issue and the 223 will become a varmit gun.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wouldn't worry too much about people telling you that the 223 is not a deer round. Maybe its not the ideal deer round, but it will kill deer humanely and thats all there is too it.

You seem like your conscientious fellow and being new to hunting have lots of questions. Problem is, everyone has an opinion and thats what you get alot of on this site. From your other posts, I don't doubt that you'll learn the limitations of your 223 on deer and act accordingly.

Use a load with a bullet that is designed to penetrate and expand. Even if you have a super magnum, you should still only take responsible shots. People act like they need more gun to kill a deer or in case of a bad hit they will some how kill the deer. Reality is that a bad hit is a bad hit and it matters little if its an elephant gun or a 223.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

The .223 is not a deer round. You can kill anything with anything but if you try to make a habit out of it it's really going to bite you one day. A .223 makes a good stunt, something to just see if you can do it. I don't know about everybody else but I'm not into stunts when I'm hunting and I don't want anything less than a completely adequate cartridge in my hands when that ten pointer steps out quartering towards me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page