lyman junior 10x - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

lyman junior 10x

i have a lyman junior 10x scope that was just given to me by my uncle. it is in great shape, complete with end caps and a rubber sunshade. thinking of putting it on a single shot 22 for a tree rat getter.
i was curious about its worth and while searching the net i noticed a few of the pictures of these scopes have a large spring around the tube.
mine is missing. what is the function of the spring? can it be used without it?

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: lyman junior 10x

the spring is for resetting scope after recoil. not required for service. just remember to manually reset the scope after each shot. lyman, unertl, and fecker all used the spring and external adjustment. THE high end scopes of the day. glass is a-1 and the scopes hold their own in some competitions to this day.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
The Man

yeah i don't know anything about it so when you say reset i'm in the dark. but i know this thing is super clear and i want to get it on a rim fire of some sort as a designated squirrel thumper. from the looks of the thing and the literature in the box its going to take some fiddling around to get things set up and me learning how to use it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 03:52 AM
The Man

The scope will actually slide forward in the rings when you fire.............the intent of the spring was to absorb that movement, and push the scope back in to battery after the shot.........you do not need the spring to use the scope, you will just have to pull the scope back towards you, and back into battery after each shot......

FWIW, you will also need to have a gun that has holes in the barrel for mounting blocks, as these scope actually mounted on the barrel.........something like a Win 52, Rem 37, Anschutz 54 or 64, Rem 513 etc.........

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Always liked to look of that setup: the spring around the scope and the process of returning it to its original position afte fireing. Lots of engineering and mechanical action. Cool.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

i will probably just take it to a gunsmith and have them mount it. i talked with one and he said it would not be cheap as it will all be custom. understandable as long as not cheap is not too not too cheap.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
The Man

new plan. think i'm going to sell the scope esp. since i have the original box and paper work with it, and buy a new gun.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
new plan. think i'm going to sell the scope esp. since i have the original box and paper work with it, and buy a new gun.
Yea, you should probably be able to sell it for 400 or 500 dollars........it wont command the highest prices, because it is a junior, and it is not a higher power...........rimfire central would be a good place to sell it.....a lot of rimfire guys over there looking for long tube scopes for their vintage rimfire setups......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

thanks buckshot. the gun smith told me the way it was in the original box it was worth 600-800. i will try rimfire central.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page