Opinion needed on Remington 700 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Opinion needed on Remington 700

I have been on the prowl for a new varmint rifle. A fella on PennsWoods contacted me with a Remington model 700 BLD in 204 Ruger. He says it has not even been through two boxes of factory ammo yet. It is a beautiful rifle with laminated wood and blued 24" barrel. He is asking $550 for the rifle by itself.

Now, I went to do some research on the rifle and can not even find another one like it anywhere on the net! Does this appear to be a good price for this rifle? To me, it seems fair but I like to get opinions from the peanut gallery as well.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:14 PM

Re: Opinion needed on Remington 700

That is a good price. You would pay that for a SPS Model, so for the BDL that is a great deal.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Part of the Community

Ask him how it shoots.The price seem right to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt75bronco
That is a good price. You would pay that for a SPS Model, so for the BDL that is a great deal.
$550 for a used or new SPS? I am really curious about this rifle.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapper
Ask him how it shoots.The price seem right to me.
He says it shoots great with the factory ammo he has tried.

So Remington discontinued the BDL altogether? Now they only make the CDL? Just getting some background on the rifle here.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

I DOUBT IT IS A BDL, I DO NOT THINK THEY MADE A BDL IN 204. They did however make a vls laminate beavertail forend with the bdl style floorplate and a heavy barrel wwith no sights in a 204, i am am sure that is what this is. if it is a bdl it would have wood stock and open sights with a sporter barel unless it was a vs model and they were stopped being made before the 204 was introduced. if it has a bdl stock i believe the laminate stock was replaced with the wood. look on remingtons website under history and i am sure you are not going to find a bdl made in a 204, it was only made in a vls laminate. Now on to the price, in te vls i have seen these same rifles from 550 to 625 new because there was no interest in the caliber in that configuraton and they discontinued it quite quickly. If you find the same rifle in a 243, 22-250, or 223 they run 625-650 used and up 725-750 new. Basing all this off from memory so if someone knows different, please correct me. I would not buy the caliber, I think it is a dead duck caliber that only true rifle looneys know about and resale [censored] on them, and it does nothing a 22-250 cannot do...... but if you are a rifle looney maybe it fits your bill.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

To be honest with you I do not have a lot of interest in this rifle. I just figured if I could get a good deal on a nice rifle then, ok. I had a nice 223 all lined up on this site but the seller never sent me pictures when he said he was going to. I was ready to set up a meeting to possibly buy it but then never heard from him again...this was just last week. I was very interested in his Savage LRPV but have started shopping around again.

Thanks for the replies!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Seems fair enough, but if you intend on really long range varminting, I think the 204 is light. I mean past 300 yards, drift becomes a major factor. If you don't plan shooting farther than that, no issue.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 AM

First off - I am a Remington 700 fan, particularly the 700 BDL series. I don't feel the current SPS, while still a good rifle is of equal to the 700BDL's. If a true BDL, particularly varmint edition then $550 wouldn't be bad. That being said and if you want a 204 - you can buy a few new Savage models NIB for much less that will shoot equal or better. My personal 204 is the CZ527 American Varmint that shoots 10 shots in .75 inch with factory ammo all day any day and I paid under $500 new for that. The 204 has a great following and as said out to about 300 yards is a super cartridge with virtually no recoil so you can stay in the scope and see the hits.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin-nut
First off - I am a Remington 700 fan, particularly the 700 BDL series. I don't feel the current SPS, while still a good rifle is of equal to the 700BDL's. If a true BDL, particularly varmint edition then $550 wouldn't be bad. That being said and if you want a 204 - you can buy a few new Savage models NIB for much less that will shoot equal or better. My personal 204 is the CZ527 American Varmint that shoots 10 shots in .75 inch with factory ammo all day any day and I paid under $500 new for that. The 204 has a great following and as said out to about 300 yards is a super cartridge with virtually no recoil so you can stay in the scope and see the hits.
I'm sure I will end up buying a 204, 223 or 22-250 that I find a really good deal on. I do not really have experience shooting over 300 yards so I think any of those chamberings will do for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page