Wolf Ammunition - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Wolf Ammunition

Anyone have any experience with Wolf .223 ammo, or any wolf ammo in general? i have never used it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wolf Ammunition

I tried it in my Ar once and it didn't want to cycle right. I never had that problem with any other ammo. I'm also leary of any steel cased ammunition damaging the chamber. But, I know alot of guys who use it and love it.

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've shot plenty of Wolf ammo through my AR. I only use it for plinking, etc. It will work fine in some AR's, while others will not run. Best to buy a few boxes and give it a try in your rifle. I've had my best results from using the ammo that comes in the commo'ed box as compared to the black box. They are made in separate factories.

As for the steel case damaging a rifle or chamber, that's hog wash. The steel of the case is softer that the steel of the rifle.

The only problem with steel cased ammo is that the case does not seal in the chamber as well as brass cased ammo, which leads to carbon build up in the chamber. If you shoot enough of the steel cased ammo and get enough of a build up, the next chambered round that sits in the chamber may not be able to be extracted. You may have to use a cleaning rod to get the case out if you cannot extract it using the rifle.

If that happens, just clean the chamber with a chamber brush and you'll be good to go again. Don't be afraid of steel cased ammo. It's not my first choice, but I always keep some on hand.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Have a spare extractor on hand. My Eagle arms M-4 gobbled up wolf no problem... until my extractor broke. The steel casing is not as forgiving as brass to the extractor.

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page